Drive chain issue

inasho

Threads
I own an 1822 Grasshopper mower and just got it back only to have the drive chain slip off the gears. Is there anyone out there who can give me detailed instructions on how to put this back on myself? I am mechanically inclined, but not an expert by any means. Is this something I can do myself? I don't know exactly what year it is because the tags were gone when I bought it. I would appreciate any help.

173abn

Threads
hi inasho,I'm not familiar with your model I did google and got several hits unfortunately something came up and wasn't able to research it.I'm going to the dealer tomorrow to pick up some parts for mine and will ask a tech. about your problem.I'll get back with you tomorrow.also I bought a manual for mine online from Grasshopper and even though it leaves something to be desired it still gives enough info for help....russ

inasho

Threads
hi inasho,I'm not familiar with your model I did google and got several hits unfortunately something came up and wasn't able to research it.I'm going to the dealer tomorrow to pick up some parts for mine and will ask a tech. about your problem.I'll get back with you tomorrow.also I bought a manual for mine online from Grasshopper and even though it leaves something to be desired it still gives enough info for help....russ

Thank you very much. I also did a google search, but there were all dead leads. Nothing listed was directly related. I think I spent about an hour going through what I found....no luck.... Hopefully, you can get information to help. The 1822 model is an older one from the 1980's...this much I know. Not exactly easy to work on either. Very tight.

173abn

Threads
went to the dealer today and a mechanic said look for a master link,if it has one it's a piece of cake .Just take it apart and put the chain back on.according to the schematic he gave me there's two chains.check the sprockets for wooble as this could be an indication of worn bearingwhich caused the chain to go off the sprockett.let me know what you find,if that's not it we'll go from there...russ

inasho

Threads
I will try that tomorrow morning and let you know.

THANKS!!!
:smile:

inasho

Threads
Ok.......I am really confused now. I found the master link and got the chain back on the sprocket. Something very strange is happening now. I had it jacked up to where the wheel could free-roll (with the release engaged on the tranny) and if I roll it forward, the outer chain will come off. If I roll it backwards, the inner chain falls off. It is like something is bent. I took the fender off and took the bolt out holding the "idler" sprocket to see if the shaft was bent. Apparently it is a bolt just holding the bearing in place on a huge shaft. I don't know where to go with this now....:confused3:

I have not yet started it to move forward or backward because I was running short on time to get to work. Is it possible that the hydrostat is adjustable to where I can shift it or something? Any ideas?????

173abn

Threads
in front of the upper sprocket is a bearing then a snap ring and a washer then the sprocket ,behind the sprocket is another bearing followed by a washer and a spacer that goes into a mount that holds the sprocket and all together,there is also a bracket that is called a spring tensioner and it holds a spring.one end of the spring is hooked to the tensioner the other is hooked to a plate.that top sprocket wraps around a sprocket and drum assy. the lower sprocket wraps around a sprocket behind the upper large sprocket.a bearing cup fits in the lower sprocket and a tapered bearing fits into the cup and then a seal over that bearing.these go onto the axle.I would check those bearings and that spring and tensioner,let me know what you find....russ

inasho

Threads
I checked and everything seems as it should be. Things are tight. What I did notice, however, is that the sprocket assembly (closest to the engine mounted on a plate) seems to be cockeyed. I tried loosening the plate and prying it outwards but it did not seem to help. I also tried tapping the plate up because it looked like it had fallen down into the groove a little bit. Neither attempt helped.

I did start it up and try to drive it and the chain fell right off like I thought it would. I am wondering that when I was trying to get it out of that little dip if the hydrostat on that side moved backwards a little causing the whole thing to come out of alignment. Since the back sprocket assembly is attached to a plate that is attached to the frame of the hydrostat, I am thinking this is a possibility. I looked on the underside where the bolts are that holds it down and it looks like it was moved recently. In my mind, it seems that the direction it moved (forwards) would have made the angle of the sprocket assembly in the back push outward rather than inward like it is now. Also, I saw the axle itself is bolted into place underneath, which is also attached to the hydrostat. I did not see any movement there, but my view was not the greatest either.

Any ideas on where to go from here? I can take pictures or video to show you what I am talking about too if you think that will help.

173abn

Threads
I think your getting there with a diagnosis with those bolts looking like they moved.In your first note you said you just got it back,did you have it worked on?post some pics if you can...russ

inasho

Threads
The original 18 hp Briggs threw a rod last spring. I bough another engine from a guy that said it was a new short block that only had a couple of hours on it. I ended up swapping the intake and exhaust along with the coverings. It ended up running ok, but not very strong. Apparently one of the spark plugs was bad even though it was new. At least that is what they told me among a couple of other very simple things they tweaked.

Since I didn't know much more about how to get it running, I ended up using my neighbor's mower for the rest of the season. I would have taken it in to the Grasshopper dealer, but I discovered they pulled a fast one on me when I took the flywheel and magnetic pick-up coil off the old engine. I paid for a new one and the old one was still on there. That mistake cost me about $120 plus labor. I won't take it to them again. So, I ended up finding someone else locally (a hole-in-the-wall shop) that was willing to work on it. He did a great job.

Going out in a couple minutes to snap some pics for you.