How to: unstick piston rings

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
This is a simple mix to unglue rings that are seized onto the piston. It has worked very well for me on a 21 year old Lawn-Boy. Mix 30% of transmission oil and 70% of regular oil together. Replace the oil in the mower with this mix and run the mower a few times with this mix. Make sure to change the oil after, because transmission oil is very abrasive since it has many detergents in it.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
This is a simple mix to unglue rings that are seized onto the piston. It has worked very well for me on a 21 year old Lawn-Boy. Mix 30% of transmission oil and 70% of regular oil together. Replace the oil in the mower with this mix and run the mower a few times with this mix. Make sure to change the oil after, because transmission oil is very abrasive since it has many detergents in it.

Also works for noises lifters and sticking valves

(( cowboy up and get over it ))

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
Also works for noises lifters and sticking valves

That also could work! It is mainly because of the detergents. I wouldn't try it on a car tho:tongue:

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
That also could work! It is mainly because of the detergents. I wouldn't try it on a car tho:tongue:

This is a old timer trick that has been used on cars for many years.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads

Never had very much experience with 2 cycle lawn mowers, But I have had with 2 cycle snowmobiles. You say to run the mower with your oil mix in it. I have found with the snowmobiles they wouldn't start. As I recall I would end up removing the piston and that the rings would beak taking them out of the grove and end up buying new rings.

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
Never had very much experience with 2 cycle lawn mowers, But I have had with 2 cycle snowmobiles. You say to run the mower with your oil mix in it. I have found with the snowmobiles they wouldn't start. As I recall I would end up removing the piston and that the rings would beak taking them out of the grove and end up buying new rings.

Well, it was maybe too late for you, but I was able to start up no problem. I mowed my lawn twice. I will change the oil this week now to SAE30.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Well, it was maybe too late for you, but I was able to start up no problem. I mowed my lawn twice. I will change the oil this week now to SAE30.

I agree 100%. Now I have had rings stuck to the cylinder wall and free them up and they will start after. I guess also are we talking about the same type engine 2cycle or 4 cycle engines?

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Neat! I'm going to write this down on my things I should know list

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
I agree 100%. Now I have had rings stuck to the cylinder wall and free them up and they will start after. I guess also are we talking about the same type engine 2cycle or 4 cycle engines?

I tried it on a 4 cycle. I guess it would be different on a 2 cycle since it would be too much oil in the mix.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Mussbay, No , forum members agree that oil must be used. Motoman