fuel system/gas tank flush proceedure on a d170

excessivegentlemen

Forum Newbie
Threads
So I got a call about my sputterint d170 and it happened to be a fuel problem, debris in the tank from previous owner, which leaves me to need to flush the gas tank, replace the fuel filter and clean the carb. I have some carb cleaner so I have that much covered. Now do I have to remove the carb to properly clean it or can I just spray the cleaner in there. Also in order to flush the gas tank I read I have to remove it in order to do so? Does any one have experience with this that can give me advice on how to do so. I figure the fuel filter is easy, remove the clamps and pop a new on one right? any help is greatly appreciated thanks in advance.

mullins87

Threads
On my LA175, basically the exact same mower, it looks like the rear fender/body has to come off.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
A procedure used by some old car nuts for steel tanks is to remove the tank , drain, put chain and acetone inside and shake. Never tried it and it sound really dangerous as acetone is highly flammable. :eek:

mullins87

Threads
Beyond removing the tank and turning it upside down, I can't think of anything else.

BBO

Threads
debris in the tank from previous owner, which leaves me to need to flush the gas tank, replace the fuel filter and clean the carb.

I always take the tank completely off and clean it inside and out.
On the inside I use comet and a water hose. If some residue is still there I have put in a handful of small rocks, BB's rags, whatever...
I shake and roll it until everything is clean, then lastly clean all with the water hose.

After all this you will need to use an air hose first, then lastly the sun with it hanging to drain.
This would be a good time to replace all gas lines unless you are positive they are in good shape and clean inside.

If you start with a near empty tank this job is not that big.

excessivegentlemen

Forum Newbie
Threads
I always take the tank completely off and clean it inside and out.
On the inside I use comet and a water hose. If some residue is still there I have put in a handful of small rocks, BB's rags, whatever...
I shake and roll it until everything is clean, then lastly clean all with the water hose.

After all this you will need to use an air hose first, then lastly the sun with it hanging to drain.
This would be a good time to replace all gas lines unless you are positive they are in good shape and clean inside.

If you start with a near empty tank this job is not that big.

Thanks. I am starting witha near empty tank but having a hard *** time getting the tank off? what are the steps involved? so far I have the seat off, beyond that I am stumped, do I have to take the whole body cover apart? I am having trouble with this, and my grass is OUT OF CONTROL!... yikes thanks in advance.

BBO

Threads
so far I have the seat off, beyond that I am stumped, do I have to take the whole body cover apart?

I have no experience with the D170 but the fenderdeck on mine has maybe 4 10mm nuts to take off under the footrest. Then some more on top.

Mine is real easy to just lift off and then the fuel tank may be even easier.
You will have to be careful with the seat wires or tail light wires if you have any.

My gas tank just sits in there with no bolts at all.

Using a large funnel with a screen is a good idea when filling a tank, plus making sure that all your gas cans are clean to start.
If I ever see trash in the bottom of my gas cans I give them a good cleaning inside also with the water hose.
After it's dry you can rinse it with a cupful of gas to be sure the water is all gone if you wish.

The gas filter is supposed to take care of trash from all this, but if this "debris" you mention is large enough to wedge in the lines it and choke off the flow.
With the tank off and all the lines exposed you can inspect them for cracks, missing parts, whatever.

Have you looked at the JD parts diagrams for yours?
John Deere - Parts Catalog
Search for D170.
Go to the sectional index, then section 30 for fuel and air.

excessivegentlemen

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have no experience with the D170 but the fenderdeck on mine has maybe 4 10mm nuts to take off under the footrest. Then some more on top.

Mine is real easy to just lift off and then the fuel tank may be even easier.
You will have to be careful with the seat wires or tail light wires if you have any.

My gas tank just sits in there with no bolts at all.

Using a large funnel with a screen is a good idea when filling a tank, plus making sure that all your gas cans are clean to start.
If I ever see trash in the bottom of my gas cans I give them a good cleaning inside also with the water hose.
After it's dry you can rinse it with a cupful of gas to be sure the water is all gone if you wish.

The gas filter is supposed to take care of trash from all this, but if this "debris" you mention is large enough to wedge in the lines it and choke off the flow.
With the tank off and all the lines exposed you can inspect them for cracks, missing parts, whatever.

Have you looked at the JD parts diagrams for yours?
John Deere - Parts Catalog
Search for D170.
Go to the sectional index, then section 30 for fuel and air.

Thanks a lot, the removal of the gas tank was not that hard actually. Now removing the fuel from the tank was another story. They design the fuel tanks to let fuel in but not out. It was impossible to drain the tank. I fought and fought with that thing for hours. I decided to siphon as much fuel out as I can, bad idea. The gas fumes had me messed up for awhile. In my gasoline stupor I decided to try pull one of the fuel pick ups off to gain more access and broke one of them. Nothing to bad, waiting for the part to come was the worst thing about it. Though it was a pain in the *** to do this whole mess only cost me about 50 dollars when all said and done. Much better than the 200 the JD store in town wanted to perform this work. The mower is running fine now and I thank you all for the help.