24 hp Briggs & Stratton engine runs rough after restart

josame

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / 24 hp Briggs & Stratton engine runs rough after restart
I have a Craftsman 24 hp riding mower about 5 yrs old with a Briggs & Stratton motor. It runs great when I first start mowing but if I turn it off and restart it while it is hot it runs rough, sputters kind of like if the choke knob is pulled out. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Josame, Check the valve adjustment asap to avoid a pushrod dropout or worse. While you're there take a look at the position of the valve guides in the heads.

Threads
Josame, Check the valve adjustment asap to avoid a pushrod dropout or worse. While you're there take a look at the position of the valve guides in the heads.

Yep good call motoman that sounds like the problem to me too.

josame

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yep good call motoman that sounds like the problem to me too.
Thanks for the information guys. Looks like an easy job, I should have time to check it out tonight. Do you know what the gap should be?

Thanks again for the help!

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'll check my manual and advise. (I think like 005"-.006")

Threads
I'll check my manual and advise. (I think like 005"-.006")

Some one might correct me but I think its .004 on the intake, and .006 on the exhaust. I hope they do if I am wrong because I have to re-adjust mine this weekend too.

josame

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well I just got done adjusting the valves I did them to 004. Left side was ok the right side was pretty sloppy. It seemed to start easier,but I guess the real test will be the next time I mow..probably be a couple of days though. I will report on the results then. Thanks again! Oh, the valve guides appeared to be ok.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Guys, sorry took a while to get the Intek repair manual out. Both intake and exhaust .005" (.13 mm) cold. Jam nut (rocker) tighten to 60 Inch Pounds.

Threads
Guys, sorry took a while to get the Intek repair manual out. Both intake and exhaust .005" (.13 mm) cold. Jam nut (rocker) tighten to 60 Inch Pounds.

Thankyou for that info motoman..:thumbsup:

josame

Forum Newbie
Threads
I was able to get out yesterday and try out the mower, it started much easier and ran stronger, not bogging down in the higher grass. But when I turned it off and restarted it did the same thing ran rough and really bogged down in the deeper grass.

I am going to change the plugs, fuel filter and check the spark arrester and fuel lines next . Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks for all the help so far.