Husqvarna vs Cub Cadet

thomasbeam

Forum Newbie
Threads
My 14-year-old John Deere LX 178 is severely wounded and close to death. The rings on one cylinder are bypassing gasoline which renders that side inoperable. Replacing the rings, etc. on both sides will run $1,000 plus. Buying a new short block costs in incredible $2,500 from my local JD dealer (before labor).

So I am shopping for a new mower and have narrowed my choices down to a Husqvarna YTH21K46 (21 hp, 46-inch, hydro), or a Cub Cadet LTX1045 (20 hp, 46-inch, hydro). Both are priced at $1,600 and I believe either will do the mowing job I require.

My question is this: Is one demonstrable better that the other or are they pretty much even?

I mow in dusty conditions on some hilly terrain and, as a result, have gone through a few mowers. I smoked a $2900 Craftsman in nine years and my $3900 John Deere in 14 years. I figure I've got about five years of mowing left before we sell this property and after that I will downgrade myself to a walk-behind.

I've never owned a product from either Husqvarna or Cub Cadet, so have no first hand knowledge of their quality. Any opinion would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Threads
------------
I moved your thread to the Mower Buying & Pricing Forum.
------------

Personally I would go with a Husqvarna. :smile:

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I got a new cub cadet LTX a few weeks ago very good mower for the money. Only bad is the cup holder is to wide and my can jumps out

(( racing is the only sport that you need two balls ))

TnHusky

Threads
Thomas first of all welcome to the forum. I too had the same decision as you about a month ago. I chose the YTH24k48 from Husqvarna. I looked at all the reviews from Lowes and or Home Depot and the Husqvarna came out on Top. Direct Mowers and another site that I can't recall also chose the Husqvarna over the Cub. So my decision was made. I'd get the Twin Cylinder if it was me, less problems in the past on them from Kohler even though they claim problems are fixed on the single cylinders. If you go down and look at some of the other threads there are also more comments which you will also get here no doubt also. I'm happy with my choice, mowed 3 times now and have 9 hrs on it and I love it. 10 yr warranty on the deck versus 5 yr was a big selling point as well for me.

Attachments

• 101_0601.jpg
    101_0601.jpg
    239 KB · Views: 13
  • 101_0602.jpg
    101_0602.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 101_0604.jpg
    101_0604.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 9

Rustysocket

Forum Newbie
Threads
I got a new cub cadet LTX a few weeks ago very good mower for the money. Only bad is the cup holder is to wide and my can jumps out

I have this same issue with my new CC RZT42. I have spoken with the dealer about the issue and so far they have been very accommodating. He stopped by the house with some replacement cans on Friday. We are working on a fix for this.... will take a lot of R&D.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have this same issue with my new CC RZT42. I have spoken with the dealer about the issue and so far they have been very accommodating. He stopped by the house with some replacement cans on Friday. We are working on a fix for this.... will take a lot of R&D.

I have found if I put my phone and my drink in the cup holder it stays.
I have had it for three weeks and have put 70 hours on

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
My 14-year-old John Deere LX 178 is severely wounded and close to death. The rings on one cylinder are bypassing gasoline which renders that side inoperable. Replacing the rings, etc. on both sides will run $1,000 plus. Buying a new short block costs in incredible $2,500 from my local JD dealer (before labor).

So I am shopping for a new mower and have narrowed my choices down to a Husqvarna YTH21K46 (21 hp, 46-inch, hydro), or a Cub Cadet LTX1045 (20 hp, 46-inch, hydro). Both are priced at $1,600 and I believe either will do the mowing job I require.

My question is this: Is one demonstrable better that the other or are they pretty much even?

I mow in dusty conditions on some hilly terrain and, as a result, have gone through a few mowers. I smoked a $2900 Craftsman in nine years and my $3900 John Deere in 14 years. I figure I've got about five years of mowing left before we sell this property and after that I will downgrade myself to a walk-behind.

I've never owned a product from either Husqvarna or Cub Cadet, so have no first hand knowledge of their quality. Any opinion would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help.

thomasbeam,
First of all based upon what you paid for that Craftsman and John Deere, it sounds like the lawn tractors you are looking at(I don't find a YTH21V46 on the Huskie website, but see a YTH22V46 that has a $1599 MSRP, and I can't find online pricing for the Cub) are considerably cheaper than what you have previously purchased. If you "smoked" those two others so quickly, why are you considering less expensive mowers(aside from your intent to downsize your property and don't think you will still need a lawn tractor)? IMHO, you should be looking at Husqvarna and Cub Cadet "dealers" that carry the "better built" models that you won't find in a big box retailer. Now, user TNHusky, in recommending the YTH24K48, gives first-hand owner information of it being a very good mower and I believe that Husqvarna(all models) are the best bang for your buck out there regardless of the model. And that model is only $300 more than the one you mentioned but I'll bet it is well worth $300 more. Now if you want a Husqvarna model that will outshine the old Craftsman($2,900) and be almost as good as the John Deere($3,900), and I've never been impressed with any of the "Residential" JD's, you need to step up to the high-end Husqvarna residential units like the YT48XLS(MSRP of $2899). That's the same as you paid for the Craftsman that lasted 9 years, but I'll bet the Craftsman didn't have a lifetime warrantied fabricated deck, a Kawasaki engine and a locking differential hydro drive. In fact I'll bet you'll be hard pressed to find any other lawn tractors, except the more expensive Cub Cadet series with deck choices that you can even get a fab deck on. It's your money, but I think you're looking at too cheap of mowers that you'll "burn up" in no time. Your call.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
thomasbeam,
First of all based upon what you paid for that Craftsman and John Deere, it sounds like the lawn tractors you are looking at(I don't find a YTH21V46 on the Huskie website, but see a YTH22V46 that has a $1599 MSRP, and I can't find online pricing for the Cub) are considerably cheaper than what you have previously purchased. If you "smoked" those two others so quickly, why are you considering less expensive mowers(aside from your intent to downsize your property and don't think you will still need a lawn tractor)? IMHO, you should be looking at Husqvarna and Cub Cadet "dealers" that carry the "better built" models that you won't find in a big box retailer. Now, user TNHusky, in recommending the YTH24K48, gives first-hand owner information of it being a very good mower and I believe that Husqvarna(all models) are the best bang for your buck out there regardless of the model. And that model is only $300 more than the one you mentioned but I'll bet it is well worth $300 more. Now if you want a Husqvarna model that will outshine the old Craftsman($2,900) and be almost as good as the John Deere($3,900), and I've never been impressed with any of the "Residential" JD's, you need to step up to the high-end Husqvarna residential units like the YT48XLS(MSRP of $2899). That's the same as you paid for the Craftsman that lasted 9 years, but I'll bet the Craftsman didn't have a lifetime warrantied fabricated deck, a Kawasaki engine and a locking differential hydro drive. In fact I'll bet you'll be hard pressed to find any other lawn tractors, except the more expensive Cub Cadet series with deck choices that you can even get a fab deck on. It's your money, but I think you're looking at too cheap of mowers that you'll "burn up" in no time. Your call.

The Price for the Cub is $1699 and I'd be careful of the Husqvarna YTH21K46 because they don't have that model anymore, it's a last years model I believe it least it's not on there site. Between the two your best choice would be the LTX1045. http://www.cubcadet.com/equipment/cubcadet/lawn-and-garden-tractors/ltx-1045