John Deere is stuck

mowerguy

Threads
I have an older John Deere Lt 155. I can't make out the numbers on the sticker due to them being scratched off but it ends in 062276. It has a 15hp Kohler on it. Model #:CV15S Spec #: 41562 Serial #: 2900714811.

A friend brought it over and asked me to try to fix it. I always try to help a neighbor out. The story I was told was it just stopped moving. Thats all that I know. It has the hydrostatic transmission and I think the part number is AM880203. The lawn mower starts and runs as it should. But when trying to move forward or backward, it will barely creep, if at all. It doesn't make a noise, it just doesn't move. I've looked underneath, and it looks like all the pulleys are all moving like they should. As well as the one on top of the transmission. This one is free of any debris.

I know this is an unservicable transmission. The local john deere guy said a new transmission would run over $900. Which is more than the tractor is worth. Is there anyway I can check to pin point for sure that it is the transmission is bad?? Thanks for any help ahead of time :smile:

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Watch the pulleys as your friend try's to make it move. Make sure the one on the rear end does not stop or slow down. If you can see the shaft it sits on make sure it does not slow down or stop.
It could have broke the key.
Everything can be fixed

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

mowerguy

Threads
well i layed underneath it tonight to watch the pulleys. the shaft comming out of the transmission with the pulley attached seemed to be spinning at a constant speed. I moved it from forward to reverse multiple times and I could not tell a differnce of it changing speed or slowing down.

Another thing I noticed is when I set the parking break, I can still roll it around with no resistance. Thanks for the reply!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Push the hydro release lever is all the way in. Has some one push the unit around and forgot to return the lever to the drive position.

mowerguy

Threads
that was my initial hope of an easy fix. that would be too easy. unfortunately thats not it. it is pushed all the way in.

mowerguy

Threads
for some reason it would not let me open the web page.

If anyone has any suggestions I'd be more than happy to hear them. I'm willing to try anything. Thanks for all the feedback!!

MBTRAC

Threads
I have found the LT155's to be reliable/rugged & with a little maintenance very long lasting.
My 2x LT155's were both purchased S/H now at 1100hrs+ & 920hrs without component change outs or failures - I change the engine oil & clean the air filter regularly, grease the spindles, rust proof/paint the decks biannually....... & well before the transmission starts to exhibit any "slowing" tendencies change the fluid (time consuming, though not too difficult).every100hrs And this might be worth a try to try to make yours mobile again ??

For hydro fluid in the Tuff Torq's replace the oil with premium synthetic product, I use Mobil 1 5w50 Engine oil.

Whilst lots of hydro tranny's are supposedly "sealed for life", it's usually quite easy (just a little time consuming to change the oil (by removing the transmission & emptying/refilling via the filler neck/cap where the factory originally put the oil in - it's critical to use the correct oil & volume..

A simple oil change can revitalise a so called "worn" tranny if is not too late & extend its life if done as regular maintenance?it worked restoring full transmission speed on 1 of the s/h units I purchased in the knowedge with a supposedly Dealer diagnosed "collapsed transmission requiring replacement?.

When changing Hydro oil:-
- clean the unit thoroughly with compressed air or wash in water/dry prior to removing any filler plugs/caps, with hydro's any dirt/water ingress can quickly kill the unit
- the oil level is critical, so measure/mark & replace exactly how much you remove (there may be a fill level marked just inside the filler housing but it's not always there)
- there may be a small filter mesh screen & possibly a small spring just inside the filler housing which can be cleaned too is it drop out.
- take time to let the oil drain slowly to empty as much as possible
- also take time to fill with oil to allow the oil to distribute evenly in transmission & fill slowly to minimise any air bubbles/air locks forming in the oil, & also occasionally whilst filling rotate the axles slowly by hand to distribute the oil evenly in the hydro unit
- depending on the filler plug/cap fitment, once you replace firmly it may be prudent to use a small bead of silicon externally around plug/cap to exclude all possibility of dust ingress.

Apart from chainging the hydro oil, the other key to achieving long transmission life on the LT155's is to keep the tranny cool (the fan is marginal in hot weather) so keep the tranny fan clean & free of all debris...& replace if it's missing or has damaged blades

Any questions just ask.
Good luck & let us know how you get on

Last edited:

mowerguy

Threads
hey thanks so much. lots of great information. i will try to remove the rear end this weekend to see what i find. i will report back with my findings or any questions i may have. thanks again!

mowerguy

Threads
well i got the transmission pulled off last night. before i took it off i lifted the rear end up in the air with a jack. it took a bit of turning, but the right tire would spin up to speed but the left would barely spin. after i pulled the transmissioni got to looking, and i noticed the left wheel had no key. and i checked the axle and you could tell it has been missing for quite sometime. i cleaned the spring and small, round, flat filter as well. so im not for sure exactly what to look for, but i guess i will just drain the oil and replace with what is suggested above. make a new key and put it all back together and pray it will work. thanks for all the help!!!