Blowing Fuses

wcpost

Threads
I have a Sears 917.254850 that keeps blowing fuses. Here is what I have done so far. Removed the plug at the alternator and still blew the fuse. Removed the wiring harness and inspected all wires. Found none melted or fused together. Replaced the terminal at the starter solenoid. Replaced the solenoid. Replaced the ignition switch. What am I overlooking? Could one of the safety switches be cousing this?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Looks like a lot of unnessary work to me. Start from the blowen fuse and see what coler wire is causeing the short and work back from there. Should be very easy to find.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Go to Sears Parts Direct, you can download a owners manual which has a good wiring diagram to help you.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Go to Sears Parts Direct, you can download a owners manual which has a good wiring diagram to help you.

That will even make the job easier. Don't always have one but a good wiring diagram sure helps.

wcpost

Threads
Looks like a lot of unnessary work to me. Start from the blowen fuse and see what coler wire is causeing the short and work back from there. Should be very easy to find.

It is the Red wire from the hot side of the soleniod that goes and gives power to the ignition switch.

wcpost

Threads

Thanks, but I have one already. I think I will use it to bypass and wire it like a tractor without all the safety switches.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks, but I have one already. I think I will use it to bypass and wire it like a tractor without all the safety switches.

I wouldn't bypass anything, check the ignition switch and then the diode, that's in the Red wire to the alternator.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I shouldn't have to say this, but make sure you check the diode in both directions.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I had a repair job this pass summer with the same problim and the alterator was burned up. Might want to pull the flywheel and check it ?

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
You don't need to pull the flywheel to check alternator, it can to done in situ..!