Snow Blower Powermore 357cc OHV / 30"

Georgian

Threads
I've been looking at this machine, as I'm going to have to get a new snow blower. My son has moved out :laughing: I'm getting a little older, and as we get a great deal of snow up here, I need to get something which will work well, is sturdy, and easy to handle.

I've been looking at the Powermore 357cc OHV / 30". It seems to cover all my requirements. There is just one point that I don't understand. It says that is a 2-Stage Snow Thrower. I've tried to read the literature and I can't find what that means. Does anyone out there know?

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've been looking at this machine, as I'm going to have to get a new snow blower. My son has moved out :laughing: I'm getting a little older, and as we get a great deal of snow up here, I need to get something which will work well, is sturdy, and easy to handle.

I've been looking at the Powermore 357cc OHV / 30". It seems to cover all my requirements. There is just one point that I don't understand. It says that is a 2-Stage Snow Thrower. I've tried to read the literature and I can't find what that means. Does anyone out there know?

Two stages are for heavy duty snow removal, they use one first stage large slow turning auger on the front to feed in the snow to the second stage, which is a smaller, fast turning auger to pack the snow in and ram it out of the discharge chute. This enables the machine to move a lot more snow in comparison to the smaller single stage machines that only have the large front auger. But the single stage front augers turn much faster than the two stage front augers, which enables the small machines to perform well. Everybody got that?

imacubfan

Forum Newbie
Threads
My experience is that single stage throwers work best with snow that is at least 3 inches deep or very wet. The two stage units handle the light snow fall much better.

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
My experience is that single stage throwers work best with snow that is at least 3 inches deep or very wet. The two stage units handle the light snow fall much better.

Just MHO, but the two stage blowers (if designed right and not under powered) are better in ALL snow. The second stage is an impeller designed to throw snow out the chute the first stage is the auger to pull snow into the impeller.

dusty-t

Threads
Ditto on what BK said.:biggrin: Dusty

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just MHO, but the two stage blowers (if designed right and not under powered) are better in ALL snow. The second stage is an impeller designed to throw snow out the chute the first stage is the auger to pull snow into the impeller.

Here is my take....I have a pair of Craftsman 5 hp blowers. one is a 21 inch single stage with a 2 stroke engine, and the other is a 24 inch two stage 4 stroke. 90 percent of the time I use the single stage model, it will move dry snow easily up to about 8 inches deep, and it is so much easier to use (less weight, no hassle to turn, easier to pull backwards, etc) I prefer it in most cases. The headache with it is, once snow gets wet, the discharge chute gradually builds up a large plug of wet packed snow, amd the machine has to be shut off to clear the plug with a wood dowel. The bigger machine will move more snow, but is painfully slow in most situations. I have modified the drive system so both wheels are always engaged (locked together) and fitted larger, bar type tractor tires, as well as adding 30 pounds of barbell weights on the front to keep the auger from climbing when I press down on the drive/auger controls. It's hard to turn, impossible to pull back unless I use the reverse gear, but will move snow up to 18 inches deep if I am in no hurry. Even in wet snow it will still move enough that it almost never plugs up.

briggs

Threads
good snow blower . work well ....for the price