LawnBoy Model 10323

TiredRetired

Threads
Hi All! My first post here, as I have been a lurker for some time. Great forum!

Thanx in no small part to the help received here and elsewhere I have learned a ton of info on my 2003 Lawnboy Model 10323. I aquired the mower in like new condition in the fall of 2007. The previous owner did not like it and rarely used it, preferring and old Toro he had.

Earlier in the spring I replaced the carb as it was leaking gas and running crappy. I was a little nervous about enlarging the jets so I did not perform the modification. I hope to build up the confidence and do that this winter.

The mower has been starting great since the new carb but the last 3-4 times I used it, the mower would suddenly quit running. Up until this last time it did that it would always restart. I checked the spark and nothing. So following the advice of many I took the C-D Ignition coil out and baked it for 1 hour at 200F. Bingo! Mower took right off and is running great, when I remember to put gas in it. Another story. :biggrin:

This morning I shopped around to the three local dealers on a new coil. The existing one has the 684048 common part #. The cheapest price I got was $61.83 plus tax. Ouch. I just put a little over $100 bucks into my L-B for the carb and a new blade and that was doing the work myself.

Now to my question. I have found a direct replacement coil from an extremely reputable dealer on Ebay for considerably less money. Total cost $24.95 including shipping. Does anyone here have any experience with this brand of coil? It is aftermarket, but that sometimes can work for you as against you. Here is the linkie. Thanx in advance!!

Ebay Link!!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sorry, I would not do it. If you buy electrical parts from any on the dealers on this forum, and it did not work we would not take them back. We don't know how you hooked it up. You're really taking a chance on EBay electrical parts. I have put in brand new OEM electrical parts that are bad. If you would have bought that part from me, I would not give you a refund, because you may have installed it wrong, causing it to go bad, if you understand what I'm saying.

TiredRetired

Threads
Thank you Rivets for your response.

However, I do not understand your point. I need to buy this part from someone and I am more than qualified to install it. I am a 40 year retired IBEW master electrician so installing this coil is well within my level of expertise. Two wires. The small #16awg wire to the dead man switch and the other to the spark plug.

I am new here and I most assuredly am not trying to be a smart @#$ or a troll, but how could this get hooked up wrong? There is no polarity to cross and if either of the two wires gets grounded that will not hurt the coil. These coils look to be fundamentally bullet proof until a solid state component goes south inside. The original lasted 9 years. Can't complain about that.

With all that said, I do understand your reluctance to return internet sales. Hard to gauge a persons level of expertise or intentions over a keyboard.

I did however order that part as it comes with a 14 day refund or replacement. I was only able to get one price. Two of the local dealers could not even be bothered to call me back with a price on the OEM coil. Must be the recession has not affected them and they have all the business they need and are not looking for more. Strange business model not calling potential customers back. :ashamed:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I am sorry if I offend you with my statement about installing it wrong. I was referring to electrical parts as a group. As you are aware some people can install even the simplest things wrong. I was a instructor for 34 years and have worked on small engines for over 40, I have seen it all. (Well maybe not all, someone will prove that statement wrong). Yes, I have seen coils installed wrong. One customer tried to return a DC starter with he tried to install on a snowblower which used an AC starter. Yes, he did try put power to it. Sorry again.

TiredRetired

Threads
I am sorry if I offend you with my statement about installing it wrong. I was referring to electrical parts as a group. As you are aware some people can install even the simplest things wrong. I was a instructor for 34 years and have worked on small engines for over 40, I have seen it all. (Well maybe not all, someone will prove that statement wrong). Yes, I have seen coils installed wrong. One customer tried to return a DC starter with he tried to install on a snowblower which used an AC starter. Yes, he did try put power to it. Sorry again.

No, you did not offend me and sorry if I led you to believe that. This is the internet and one cannot get offended so easily. :biggrin:

We had an old saying that rang true when I was in the trade. One wire hookup and two wire @#$%-up. I am sure you know the four letter word to insert. LOL. :biggrin:

I am hoping the new 25 dollar coil works out. I will be sure to post back here when it comes in at the end of this week and report on how it works. I am sure there are many Lawnboy owners here that would be pleased on saving this much money on a coil if and when they need one. For me right now saving 36 bucks is a good thing and always gives one a nice feeling.

Funny thing, the baked coil is working fine for the moment. No problems mowing yesterday with it. I was half expecting it to quit at any moment but it never did.

I am noticing a slight surge upon starting that manifests itself under no load. Seems to smooth out under load and after the engine warms up. It needs the carb modification to the jets but that can wait as a winter project. Besides, I will want to order new jets to do that and I have spent enough money on the mower for the moment.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you have a plastic carb, there is an idle jet which you can clean right now. It is under the decal on the left side of the carb. The center hole on this jet is extremely small, I use the needle retaining spring to check to see if it is open. If you have a Techumseh engine the idle jet is under the plastic plug on the front of the carb. Check the same way. After pulling the jet, make sure you spray the opening in carb with a good cleaner. What do you call a three wire hook up? We call it $$$$.

blowerhead

Threads
Hi All! My first post here, as I have been a lurker for some time. Great forum!

Thanx in no small part to the help received here and elsewhere I have learned a ton of info on my 2003 Lawnboy Model 10323. I aquired the mower in like new condition in the fall of 2007. The previous owner did not like it and rarely used it, preferring and old Toro he had.

Earlier in the spring I replaced the carb as it was leaking gas and running crappy. I was a little nervous about enlarging the jets so I did not perform the modification. I hope to build up the confidence and do that this winter.

The mower has been starting great since the new carb but the last 3-4 times I used it, the mower would suddenly quit running. Up until this last time it did that it would always restart. I checked the spark and nothing. So following the advice of many I took the C-D Ignition coil out and baked it for 1 hour at 200F. Bingo! Mower took right off and is running great, when I remember to put gas in it. Another story. :biggrin:

This morning I shopped around to the three local dealers on a new coil. The existing one has the 684048 common part #. The cheapest price I got was $61.83 plus tax. Ouch. I just put a little over $100 bucks into my L-B for the carb and a new blade and that was doing the work myself.

Now to my question. I have found a direct replacement coil from an extremely reputable dealer on Ebay for considerably less money. Total cost $24.95 including shipping. Does anyone here have any experience with this brand of coil? It is aftermarket, but that sometimes can work for you as against you. Here is the linkie. Thanx in advance!!

Ebay Link!!

I think I may have a coil problem on my Model 10323 also. After running a few minutes, I shut it off, and would not restart, even with a shot of starting fluid on the air filter.
Pulled the plug, and it appears to have a weak spark.
Does anybody know how to test the coil, without taking to a repair shop?
Baking the coil, is that really a temporary fix?
I'd also be interested in how your eBay coil purchase has worked out.
Thanks for replying to an old original post (2007?)