My mower wont go. Riding Mower w/ Bad Transmission?

usergray

Forum Newbie
Threads
2012-05-24_18-59-14_945.jpg

My mower has had some forward motion issues for as long as I've owned it. This is just my second season with it.

Last year the mower would stop moving after running for a while. A few wiggles in the seat and it would start moving again.

This year has been a little worse. I've had a harder time getting it to go at all. This past weekend I was riding for less than 5 minutes and the forward motion just stopped. No pushing or wiggling could get me going forward or backwards. I let it cool down and still no go.

The belts are in good shape. I'm guessing that the transmission has gone bad somehow. If that's the case, is it worth fixing on this old machine? Thanks!

paulbradley

Forum Newbie
Threads
If you put it in the highest gear will it pull? This is what mine was doing and kept getting worse. Finally got where for it to pull itself it would be going too fast to mow efficiently. Purchased a belt from local co-op (the one they said went on it) and didnt help a bit. Left the mower sitting all that year and decided to try it again this year, but I ordered both the belts online using the part numbers from MDT. As I was puting them on I noticed my new belts were much wider than the one I bought locally. One of the belts I had put on by the co-op a year before I started having the puttling problem. Both belts combined being too narrow made it where the one pulley wouldnt spread apart correctly so it would get grip to make it pull.
When I had given up on the mower the first time I was told it was the transmission, but furtunately it was not the case.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
The first thing I would check is the wheel drive keys. If you find the transmission is bad I would say the next step would be the local mower salvage yard for a used trans.

loyce

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have the same problem with my 10 year old Murray with a hydrostatic transmission. It simply stopped pulling. I've attempted to check fluid level, but can't find a stick or drain plug. I'm not a mechanic and don't know if I should junk it and move on or try to repair it. It's been a real work horse and I'd like to keep it going if I can. Can anyone give me any suggestions as to how to determine what I should do?

usergray

Forum Newbie
Threads
If you put it in the highest gear will it pull? This is what mine was doing and kept getting worse. Finally got where for it to pull itself it would be going too fast to mow efficiently.

That's exactly what it was doing? For a while it was working at higher speeds. Now it has no pull at all. I'll check the belts closer and look into replacing them. Thanks.

wcbjr2002

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / My mower wont go. Riding Mower w/ Bad Transmission?
2012-05-24_18-59-14_945.jpg

My mower has had some forward motion issues for as long as I've owned it. This is just my second season with it.

Last year the mower would stop moving after running for a while. A few wiggles in the seat and it would start moving again.

This year has been a little worse. I've had a harder time getting it to go at all. This past weekend I was riding for less than 5 minutes and the forward motion just stopped. No pushing or wiggling could get me going forward or backwards. I let it cool down and still no go.

The belts are in good shape. I'm guessing that the transmission has gone bad somehow. If that's the case, is it worth fixing on this old machine? Thanks!

Sounds like you put to much oil in the transmission and the oil has messed up your fan belt. There are two shafts sticking out the side of the trans. The oil level should be about a 1/4in from the bottom of the shafts. You should be able to see oil dripping out the shafts. If you do not then you have log grease in the transmission. This grease has dried up clean out the trans and put 90weight oil in it. This is a strat of trouble shooting. Some of. The companies put grease in these trans and this would run dry in a few years. Good luck

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Sounds like you put to much oil in the transmission and the oil has messed up your fan belt. There are two shafts sticking out the side of the trans. The oil level should be about a 1/4in from the bottom of the shafts. You should be able to see oil dripping out the shafts. If you do not then you have log grease in the transmission. This grease has dried up clean out the trans and put 90weight oil in it. This is a strat of trouble shooting. Some of. The companies put grease in these trans and this would run dry in a few years. Good luck

Fan belt?

(( racing is the only sport that you need two balls ))

wcbjr2002

Forum Newbie
Threads
Fan belt?

Yea there is a fan belt under the plate that the transmission sits on. You need to have a way to transfer the engine power to the trans. Most of these models do it this manner

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yea there is a fan belt under the plate that the transmission sits on. You need to have a way to transfer the engine power to the trans. Most of these models do it this manner

Ok your talking about the drive belt.
Just have never had a mower with a fan

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Just repaired a JD lawn tractor not moving. Pulley hub striped and it has a fan.

Attachments

• 100_1212.jpg
    100_1212.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 100_1213.jpg
    100_1213.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 11