2 wheel tractor vs wheel horse

canoeks

Forum Newbie
Threads
is there an advantage of a 2 wheel tractor for garden maintenance over a Wheel Horse type lawn tractor that has the lift for attachments.
Thanks

Attachments

• Toro Grandstand 36 001.jpg
    Toro Grandstand 36 001.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 1
  • Toro Turfmaster 002.jpg
    Toro Turfmaster 002.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 4
  • Toro Turfmaster 005.jpg
    Toro Turfmaster 005.jpg
    264 KB · Views: 1
  • Turfmaster 006.jpg
    Turfmaster 006.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 2

Muhammad

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
The primary advantages I see are maneuverability, durability, and the attachments on a 2-wheeled tractor are going to be different than on a garden tractor (sickle bar mower, rotary cutter, chipper, cultivator, etc).

Now, if all you're going to do is run a tiller, then the decision might become easier... especially if you don't like walking. :biggrin:

Attachments

• Feb 2010.jpg
    Feb 2010.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 98
  • Snow 2010.jpg
    Snow 2010.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 94
  • Ventrac 1.jpg
    Ventrac 1.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 89
  • February snow.jpg
    February snow.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 91
  • Meg-Mo Blades 2.jpg
    Meg-Mo Blades 2.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 88
  • DSCN6586.jpg
    DSCN6586.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 36
  • Clip Directors.jpg
    Clip Directors.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 41
  • HRR, HRX, HRC, HRS.jpg
    HRR, HRX, HRC, HRS.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 37
  • DSCN8692.jpg
    DSCN8692.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 31
  • 3 Hondas.jpg
    3 Hondas.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 9

leon

Forum Newbie
Threads
The primary advantages I see are maneuverability, durability, and the attachments on a 2-wheeled tractor are going to be different than on a garden tractor (sickle bar mower, rotary cutter, chipper, cultivator, etc).

Now, if all you're going to do is run a tiller, then the decision might become easier... especially if you don't like walking. :biggrin:

Very true but if your budget is troublesome the purchase of a "BCS" as an example or a "Grillo"
is miney in the bank.
It is forever tractor as you can always obtain parts-I cannot buy replacement parts for my wheel horse as they are no longer made- makes me wish I had bought a Kubota and been done with it.

The BCS can handle a flail mower, snow blower, rotary finish mower, rototiller
etc. , and the BCS also has the rotary plow option like the old gravelys and they will dig deeper than a standard rototiller, and break virgin or long unused ground but you should have a tiller to use for weeding and bed building.

You can obtain a sulky to ride behind it while mowing which saves on the legs with a big lawn and a flail mower can and will cut deep grass better than a standard mower deck and will not plug up and
the flail has more knife blades to cut the grass with less effort and fuel.

I have no financial interest in BCS tractors

leon

Mac 624

Threads
Fortake of a walkbehind:

Bild004.jpg

DSCK0011-1.jpg

DSCK0010.jpg

We use a compact tractor also and it depends on the space and the work you have to do.

In hilly areas they use large sicklebar walkbehinds for mowing on step hills.

http://www.reform.at/upload/imagebox/M2D_Fingerbalken_freigestellt_LN_1.jpg

Last edited:

ncredleg

Threads
:smile: @MAC 624 .That looks like what we called in Korea a one-eyed water buffaloe or it`s common name of walking tractor.I saw them pull some amazing loads with them when I was stationed over there.
They also had a set of floats that they actually walked on the surface with via a cam arrangement.

Mac 624

Threads
:smile: @MAC 624 .That looks like what we called in Korea a one-eyed water buffaloe or it`s common name of walking tractor.I saw them pull some amazing loads with them when I was stationed over there.
They also had a set of floats that they actually walked on the surface with via a cam arrangement.

So the Buffalo is a 4 hp Iseki, towing a czech Agrostroij trailer, with a 200 kg Gutbrod Puma as load

DSCK0007.jpg

Really itエs a mess to do 1 ha with such machines but for larger gardens they are ok. We have some larger machines in former years, real widowmakers with 10 hp Diesel and an weight of 500 kg. you have to look for Hansa, Schmiedag or Holder.

jet62095

Threads
I'd say Wheel Horse, but that's just my opinion.

JayC

Threads
is there an advantage of a 2 wheel tractor for garden maintenance over a Wheel Horse type lawn tractor that has the lift for attachments.
Thanks

I find it's way to hard to drink beer while operating a 2 wheel tractor vs. rider. Problem solved....

JayC

meangreenmachine

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've never owned a two wheel tractor, having looked at BCS and Gravely over the years, I agree that the main benefit of a 2-wheel would be maneuverability. Am now on my second Wheel Horse garden tractor, having owned each for 20 years. Am sorta looking about for a new machine but very unfortunate that TORO has discontinued manufacturer of Wheel Horse.::mad:At this point the Wheel Horse still runs well and mows well. But that's not going to last forever. Got a nice buy on a Sears used rear tiller a few years ago for the gardens.

Mac 624

Threads
Got a nice buy on a Sears used rear tiller a few years ago for the gardens.

How is this system working? I never have seen it in real, cause it is not common here.

PS: New Rideon Mowers are very expensive in Germany