Best Chainsaw?

Gabi

Threads
I have an older Poulan my dad gave me to use. I have heard some horror stories about them, what do you all think? I know it works but how well I am not sure, I will eventually have to purchase a new one and I don't know what brands are better.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Gabi..
Poulan chain saws have been very handy weekend trim saws... they are affordable light little saws.
I would not want to go into the logging business with it, but for occasional use they are OK.

How much work are you planning to get from yours? :smile:KennyV

rekees

Threads
I don't know what brands are better.

Stihl is the best selling chainsaw in the world and there's a reason for that. Take a look at the MS290 Farm Boss. It's a powerful mid-range saw that's around $400 and will last for decades.

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have an older Poulan my dad gave me to use. I have heard some horror stories about them, what do you all think? I know it works but how well I am not sure, I will eventually have to purchase a new one and I don't know what brands are better.

I bought a husquvarna 15 years ago and it has never failed to start. Still use the original bar and chain.
You need to keep your saw sharp and clean to get the maximum service life out of it regardless what kind it is. Be sure to read the owner/operators manual before using. No kidding, chain saws can be dangerous and must be properly lubricated and adjusted:eek:.
Don't forget eye protection at the very least. You should wear ear protection too, but I don't usually.

Gabi

Threads
Just for my firewood, like 4 maybe 5 cord a year, that would be all I use it for, but does it matter what type of wood I am cutting? I find that everyone seems to like a different brand, which is normal, I guess, but doesn't help if you have no clue where to start.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
doesn't help if you have no clue where to start.

Start with the one you have ... by the time you need to replace it you will know exactly what you like in a chain saw and what your looking for... :smile:KennyV

Gabi

Threads
Good point, if I use this one for this year it will let me know if it's something I like or can use before I invest any money into it. Good Idea, thanks.

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just for my firewood, like 4 maybe 5 cord a year, that would be all I use it for, but does it matter what type of wood I am cutting? I find that everyone seems to like a different brand, which is normal, I guess, but doesn't help if you have no clue where to start.

If you're cutting that much wood it might be worth it to get a Dremel Moto Tool and the attachment made for sharpening saw chains. The attachment helps you to maintain the correct angle when grinding the cutters. You also need to get the correct diameter of grinding stone -- probably 5/32" if it's a small saw.

I have a couple of Stihl saws and am very satisfied but don't replace your old one if it works.

However, it is nice to have a backup saw. When I get set up to work on firewood (I've heated with wood for over 20 years) I like to be able to pick up the second saw instead of messing with the first one while I'm outside and set up to work.

Sam Mac

Threads
Just bought a Stihl MS290, great saw. I still have a Stihl O15 from 1974 that runs like new.

briggs

Threads
Sthil and husquvarna are my favs