Craftsmen

BlueGrass

Threads
We purchased a Craftsmen walk behind mower last summer from Sears. I believe we paid about $180 for it and it works pretty good. The one we have has the bag but it also mulches which is nice. It's a lot nicer than the one we previously had.

Muhammad

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
Hey BlueGrass, which model did you get? I had an MTD a few years back that did the job pretty well. The mulching attachment on mine wasn't really the most sophisticated; it merely blocked off the discharge so the clippings would continue to get chopped up until they dropped out of the mower. This wouldn't produce the best of results in wet grass, but then again I wasn't too fond of using a walk-behind when it was wet. :tongue:

Stevie-Ray

Threads
Hey BlueGrass, which model did you get? I had an MTD a few years back that did the job pretty well. The mulching attachment on mine wasn't really the most sophisticated; it merely blocked off the discharge so the clippings would continue to get chopped up until they dropped out of the mower. This wouldn't produce the best of results in wet grass, but then again I wasn't too fond of using a walk-behind when it was wet. :tongue:
Very true. My current (~12 years old) MTD is still cutting like crazy. I bag mine, but the mulching works well, as the old MTD's vacuum action is second to none. It sucks and packs like no other. Mine is only 5.5hp and packs the bag so tight without clumping that I have to pull clippings by hand out to get the dump started. My next door neighbor's 6.5hp Craftsmen doesn't do that and he's astonished. I have over the years learned to go by the weight of the mower to discern whether the bag is full. I think I paid about $189 all those years ago and it's one of the best deals of any kind I've ever gotten. I bought it because of the good service provided me by the MTD snowblower I'd gotten a few years earlier. I'm now looking at the MTDs for tractors, but I'm being told they are not as good as before. I'm hoping this forum will shed some light on what's good and what's not so good in the next few months.

Muhammad

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
I got mine in 1996, sold it when I moved in 2001... was still working like new when I sold it.

lawnman84

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 7hp self propeled craftsman mower. it works well but is heavy. Also I hear they start leaking oil. Mine has not yet. I also have 6.5 hp toro that I like much better. 7 hp craftsman for sale lol

Mean Machine

Threads
I'm on my second one in twenty years. They just don't die! Almost always starts up on the first or second pull. I've been tempted to try to take a rock to kill this one just so I can get the newest version!