ZT stuck in the mud - Can I install a winch?

fsagames

Threads
I got my Hustler X1 seriously stuck in some deep mud a few weeks ago. Got a neighbor to bring his come-along over and help me get it out. I'm kind of a newbie and had never even heard of a "come-along" before this. Anyway I got to thinking, what about mounting a winch on the front of the mower, similar to the way they do on ATV's? I contacted Hustler about where and how to mount one and what would they suggest? They replied that they had no suggestions and pretty much blew me off. I would be afraid of bending, breaking, or pulling something loose without knowing exactly where and how to mount the winch. I would also be afraid of voiding the frame warranty. Any ideas or suggestions out there?

poloman

Threads
Imo better to put a winch on your truck ir jeep or by a stand alone model. Much more versatile.

redfish9

Threads
don't mow close enough to get stuck thats why you have a weedeater ,or not at all if it that muddy

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I would think it would be a very good idea. I have one on my ATV and use it all the time around the house like pulling post out or moving a rock or what ever. You might have to get some kind of mounting plate and install a roller fairlead with it. Mine is a 2500 lb. pull but I would think you could get by with a 1000 lb pull seeing you don't want to over pull on your frame and bend it. Once you have and use a winch you will be surprised the uses for it and find it was a good investment. The only problem I do have with mine is if I use it for a long time period it will kill the battery but with common sense you will learn how much you can use it. I say go for it you will not be sorry: wink:

hitmanharleyk

Threads
You could also use it to lift the front end for deck work and changing the blades if you have something sturdy enough to "hang" it from.

Sprinkler Buddy

Threads
lol, Are you planning on getting stuck often? I would think a winch would be a major inconvenience to mount no matter where you put it.

I used a rope & my other mower the few times I had gotten a little close to the wet lands.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Since mowing in Mud is not that productive... It seems much more practicle to Avoid the Mud in the first place,,, that way you not only avoid getting stuck, but you also avoid the work needed to repair the area you destroyed while "mowing".... :smile:KennyV

hitmanharleyk

Threads
The guy is smart enough to know to try and avoid getting stuck but we all make mistakes! Instead of the smart-arse no brainer comments about avoiding getting stuck, why not try to answer his question? It is his mower and his money, if he wants to install a winch He can.
He asked if he could install one, not how to avoid needing one.

Threads
sure you can, but you could also install one on a cessna:confused2:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ha ha ... Your right John... & I was in a cessna once that needed a pull out of where it ended... :biggrin:
We didn't install one after that... and have never got into that kind of predicament since.

I think the overall message is, you may get stuck once.. and likely will avoid trying to "mow" in an area that your likely to get stuck...
After getting stuck the second time I think I would walk the spot I'm thinking of mowing just to 'see' if it is too Wet to mow...
:smile:KennyV