Pesky Grubs

BlueGrass

Threads
How do I get rid of those pesky grubs that are destroying my lawn? Just when I think I've gotten rid of them, they come back. Is there a way to get rid of them for good?

Attachments

• 100_0457A.jpg
    100_0457A.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 98
  • 100_0463A.jpg
    100_0463A.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 106

44carbine

Threads
Best time to treat for grubs is late summer and early fall while grubs are still small and up near the surface. Grubs are less susceptible to treatment in the spring because they are to large and spring rains wash out the treatment. Dylox is the most effective fall treatment I have used. I get this from a buddy of mine.

JD Man

Threads
Yup, agree with 44carbine. Dylox. Have tried Ortho Grub-be-gone..... it's crap. But be patient with the Dylox, it may take up to three weeks to see results. But it works. Another thing, if you enjoy "working" the lawn....de-thatch, aerate. Bag all the thatch and burn. Probably eggs there. Aerate to 3 to 4 inches deep. If your lawn is hard, either water heavily before or wait for a good solid rain to aerate. With your problem, it probably wouldn't matter when you aerate, just do it to get some good air to the soil. GOOD LUCK !

danny57

Threads
I used to have such a severe grub problem that they practically destroyed my yard. And besides the grubs, moles came looking for an easy and plentiful meal thus helping to tear up my yard. I researched and talked to anyone who knew anything about the blasted creatures. A VA Tech extension agent suggested that in order to get rid of the moles I had to get rid of their food source which were grubs. He said that Milky Spore would rid my yard of grubs and would last for up to 15 years. Milky Spore is rather expensive but I gave it a try. You can apply it anytime but I would not apply it during the dry summer months. It will not hurt plants or animals since it is organic. Guess what, the stuff really works. I applied it to my yard about 14 years ago and have had no grub or mole problem since. Am getting ready to bit the bullet and pay for another treatment. You can buy it in powder or grandular form. I purchased powder and had to drop a teaspoon of the stuff every 3 feet in my yard. It then needs to be watered into the ground. Just Google Milky Spore and it will take you to web sites where it can be purchased. Its also available at many garden centers.

jwt0bos

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have used Grub X and it did what it was supposed to do. In a year following a severe infestation, I started using it. Our area had a less severe infestation the following year and my lawn wasn't affected.

mordecai22

Forum Newbie
Threads
This is just what I was looking for. I have a grub problem which leads to my mole problem but have a dog so have not wanted to put anything down that would harm her. I will definitely be looking into this. Thanks for the info.

I used to have such a severe grub problem that they practically destroyed my yard. And besides the grubs, moles came looking for an easy and plentiful meal thus helping to tear up my yard. I researched and talked to anyone who knew anything about the blasted creatures. A VA Tech extension agent suggested that in order to get rid of the moles I had to get rid of their food source which were grubs. He said that Milky Spore would rid my yard of grubs and would last for up to 15 years. Milky Spore is rather expensive but I gave it a try. You can apply it anytime but I would not apply it during the dry summer months. It will not hurt plants or animals since it is organic. Guess what, the stuff really works. I applied it to my yard about 14 years ago and have had no grub or mole problem since. Am getting ready to bit the bullet and pay for another treatment. You can buy it in powder or grandular form. I purchased powder and had to drop a teaspoon of the stuff every 3 feet in my yard. It then needs to be watered into the ground. Just Google Milky Spore and it will take you to web sites where it can be purchased. Its also available at many garden centers.

ReggieDeere

Threads

I also have used Milky Spore for my grub problem, and I've been very satisfied to this point. I especially like the fact that it won't harm spiders, worms, bees, insects, pets, or people. It is best to apply it to your lawn in the spring or the fall, you can even apply it when the ground is frozen.:smile:

BlueGrass

Threads
I hear you about the moles. They are a big problem too but I think if I can get a handle on the grubs then the moles will leave. I'll try to aerate my lawn this fall and I'll also try that Dylox. Grubs have got to be one of the most nasty looking things I've ever seen.

ReggieDeere

Threads
Yes, if you get rid of the grubs, which is a moles main source of food, then they most likely will go elsewhere. If getting rid of the grubs doesn't work then you should try putting caster oil down the mole trail. I've heard that works pretty well, they can't stand the smell.:smile:

JimmyWeb

Threads
My neighbor was telling me about that stuff yesterday. He said Milky Spore was a blessing for him. Grubs were tearing up his yard until he treated it with Milky Spore. I know what to use if I ever have a problem.:thumbsup:

I also have used Milky Spore for my grub problem, and I've been very satisfied to this point. I especially like the fact that it won't harm spiders, worms, bees, insects, pets, or people. It is best to apply it to your lawn in the spring or the fall, you can even apply it when the ground is frozen.:smile: