Broke my neighbors mower

crispins

Threads
Wow what a situation I am in. My neighbor helped me out a few months ago by lending me his car when mine broke for a few days.

He has a Huskee 50" with a B&S Intek V-Twin 25hp

To pay him back I told him I would get his motor ready for the season.

I brought it to my house bought new air filter, oil filter, and oil.

I adjusted the valves and it was starting great. I then drained the oil which I believe is the same oil he bought it with (he does not maintenance anything) changed the filter.

I added 1 quart of oil and checked the dipstick, it was on the bottom.

I started it and moved it to my concrete pad (where it was level) I then washed the machine.

I went to restart it and it was making a noise. I was listening to see where it was coming from and it sounded like the motor. I rev'd it up to see if it would go away and "KA PLANK!!!!" it stopped running.

OMG!!! I checked the oil again and it was way too low. I topped it up (took abt another quart) and tried to start it. No fire.

Pulled a valve cover and the rockers are moving.

Pulled the plus and looked into the cylinders, both pistons are sitting at around TDC and are not moving.

I cannot believe it but I guess I broke both rods.

I have not told him yet and I do not have the money to replace the motor.

I need to either find a used motor that I can afford or rebuild this one.

I have never rebuilt a motor before but I do have a workshop and all the tools I need.

What should I do? I just got back from his house where I mowed his yard with my yard tractor cause it was getting very tall.

I was just trying to repay a favor and cannot believe I broke his motor!

defensitive

Forum Newbie
Threads
All i'm going to say is insurance....take it from there :thumbsup:

crispins

Threads
All i'm going to say is insurance....take it from there :thumbsup:

Didn't mention that my neighbor (owner of the mower) is the retired Chief of Police for the area I live in.

Thanks for the suggestion, however...lol

possum

Threads
Get out your checkbook. Do not do your neighbors any more favors. Favors are as dangerous as a loaded gun pointed right at you

crispins

Threads
I was really hoping for advice for rebuilding this motor.

I have never rebuilt a motor before and have never tore a B&S motor apart before either.

B&S sells .020 under sized rods so I think getting a set of those and having the crank turned down would be the best way.

Does anyone know what seals I should replace? I read that the PTO seal was necessary.

Is there a gasket kit for the motor?

Has anyone here rebuilt one of these motors before?

SONOFADOCKER

Threads
Tell him his old oil was mud - new oil couldn't hold the motor together anymore & go get the rebuild kit ... You'll still look like a good guy when your done .

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I was really hoping for advice for rebuilding this motor.

I have never rebuilt a motor before and have never tore a B&S motor apart before either.

B&S sells .020 under sized rods so I think getting a set of those and having the crank turned down would be the best way.

Does anyone know what seals I should replace? I read that the PTO seal was necessary.

Is there a gasket kit for the motor?

Has anyone here rebuilt one of these motors before?

No one knows the damage till the engine is apart????? You have no idea what you need till you get to that point. Now if it was my problem I would be looking for used parts or if it needed very much like a block or major parts I would look for a used engine. Your neighbor started with used parts so in my opinion why would you need new parts? Also if the seals ain't leaking use them over. Also if the old gaskets still look OK put a little sealant or grease on them and use them over this includes the head gasket. I sure wouldn't spend any more then I would have to if I am doing a free repair job.

crispins

Threads
No one knows the damage till the engine is apart????? You have no idea what you need till you get to that point. Now if it was my problem I would be looking for used parts or if it needed very much like a block or major parts I would look for a used engine. Your neighbor started with used parts so in my opinion why would you need new parts? Also if the seals ain't leaking use them over. Also if the old gaskets still look OK put a little sealant or grease on them and use them over this includes the head gasket. I sure wouldn't spend any more then I would have to if I am doing a free repair job.

I know what you mean about the used gaskets and seals. However he did not have any oil leaks and I would hate to fix the motor and have it leak.

The full gasket kit (part # 694012) is only $36.85 so I will purchase that just to insure everything goes back together with no leaks.

I have not been able to find undersized rods which has me worried as if the crank is scarred I cannot afford to replace it as it is $235

I have looked on ebay for used parts and cannot find any.

Seems that the 25HP motor is not super common.

ASEAudie

Threads
No need to replace the Crankshaft, let me know if it has aluminum transfer from the conn. rods and I will tell you a secret to make it good as new; standard size replacement rods will be all you'll need.

What a predicament you have on your hands :frown:

crispins

Threads
No need to replace the Crankshaft, let me know if it has aluminum transfer from the conn. rods and I will tell you a secret to make it good as new; standard size replacement rods will be all you'll need.

What a predicament you have on your hands :frown:

Cool - so you have rebuilt these motors before I am guessing.

Looking at the exploded parts diagram and the Shop manual it does not look too bad.

Do I need to borrow a Torque Wrench for the rod bolts?

And someone told me muratic acid was the trick to get any alum off the crank.

Thinking about it not likely that alum rods could have done much damage to the steel crank.

Thank you for your help very much.