Killing weeds

Thunder

Threads
If you have a lot of weeds that you need to cut down every year, wouldn't it make more sense to just cut them down really low to the ground and then apply an all vegetation killer concentrate on the ground to keep them dead?

Wayne195

Threads
That would work for sometime, but it would probably have to be applied every spring because new weeds would grow.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you have a lot of weeds that you need to cut down every year, wouldn't it make more sense to just cut them down really low to the ground and then apply an all vegetation killer concentrate on the ground to keep them dead?

I use a vegetation killer sold at TSC and the directions clearly state to apply to weeds and grass when actively growing...I interpret that to mean when they are tall, not after you whack them off. Trouble is, once they are dead and you have bare ground, seeds will begin sprouting again so you end up spraying again. I have areas in my yard with a stone border that seems to sprout pigweed two or three weeks after the last spraying killed everything.

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads

I agree with JD it makes more sense to spray when the weeds are spouted and growing. Most non selective herbicides work by disrupting the photosynthesis process, so it is more effective on the leaves.
I have had success using a rototiller to till the soil every 3-4 weeks until the weed seeds are all sprouted, then use a weed blanket and mulch.

srsvii

Forum Newbie
Threads
I agree with those posting above and would add, DO NOT cut it down before treating with herbicide. You want maximum left contact and short weeds have less leaf surface to absorb the herbicide. Also, add a surfactant to the spray. Something like Dawn dish-washing liquid, a couple ounces would be fine. It lowers surface tension and aids in penetration of the herbicide. I'm assuming you are spraying and not using a granular product. withis is also considering you have no turf in the stand to regenerate once the weeds are eliminated. Quite often I see homeowners under estimate the amount of turf hiding in the weeds. I've seen a good herbicide application reveal quite a bit of turf ready to grow and spread depending on the species. Good luck with your project.

I agree with JD it makes more sense to spray when the weeds are spouted and growing. Most non selective herbicides work by disrupting the photosynthesis process, so it is more effective on the leaves.
I have had success using a rototiller to till the soil every 3-4 weeks until the weed seeds are all sprouted, then use a weed blanket and mulch.

Mikel1

Threads
I agree, more contact with herbicide the more effective it will be.