Snakes in the garden

Zeroturn

Threads
Eek... I knew the time would come. We have been weeding like crazy but the buggers still find a way in and they hide under the giant squash plants. We are all afraid of them. How can we get them out of there so I feel safe going in again?

souperbee

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi. I don't know how big of a garden you have? But you could put mothballs around the perimeter of the garden and that should do the trick. I would like to hear of other suggestions that may work better.
Souperbee

Thunder

Threads
There's a product called snake away that has Napththalene as it's primary ingredient. It's odor is what repels the snakes. Keeping the rest of your landscaping low and well trimmed helps also.

Homesteader

Threads
We have the same problem in the high grass and we were told to sprinkle sulfur powder around the grassy areas and under the porches and shrubs. Also we had to put the sulfur around the ducks; the snakes loved the eggs.

Zeroturn

Threads
Thanks for all the tips. I think I'll start with moth balls. I just put them around the outside of the garden? I've never seen sulfur sprinkles? I hate snakes and I want them gone!

Bessy

Threads
I saw my first snake of the season the other day, it was crossing the road. The slithery little bug-gars are not my favorite at all . I think my cats kill them though.

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Eek... I knew the time would come. We have been weeding like crazy but the buggers still find a way in and they hide under the giant squash plants. We are all afraid of them. How can we get them out of there so I feel safe going in again?

The snake may be there for a reason. That reason may be rodents. If you get rid of the snake you find your vegetables are becoming snacks for rats, rabbits, and other pests including insects. Try to identify the snake and if is not venomous you may want to consider yourself lucky to have one. Without it, you may find yourself with a whole new set of problems that are more difficult to live with.

Walt 2002

Threads
The snake may be there for a reason. That reason may be rodents. If you get rid of the snake you find your vegetables are becoming snacks for rats, rabbits, and other pests including insects. Try to identify the snake and if is not venomous you may want to consider yourself lucky to have one. Without it, you may find yourself with a whole new set of problems that are more difficult to live with.

Agree, unless the snake is venomous, they are a good thing. Always wanted them in our corn crib.

Walt Conner

Tillie

Threads
My husband can identify snakes; I only know the dangerous ones which I have, until now, left alone. But when I saw that thing in the nest in the duck pen with three clear bumps along its stomach, that was it.