Kubota diesel stalling

dangerdoc

Forum Newbie
Threads
Mower will run OK for about half an hour then starts losing power to the point where it can no longer mow. I replaced the fuel filters withous improvement. Temp guage stays in the normal range.

Any ideas?

zenapup

Threads
what is the engine model number?
what is the mower manufacturer and model number?

whats the outside temperature when this is happening?

Is it smoking? Does it start smoking when it starts to lose power? If so, what color is the smoke?

And how many hours are on the engine?

Best Regards :)

Cvans

Forum Newbie
Threads
This sounds similar to a non venting fuel tank. Might want to check that fuel cap or leave it loose and see what happens.
Chris

arkhermit

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 1984 kubota diesel and the electric fuel pump will lose its ground. I always listen for the clicking sound before starting. It acts like it starves for fuel when this happens I just reach underneath on the frame and turn it slightly I need to do a permanent repair.

Attachments

• Name This Part.jpg
    Name This Part.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 8
  • Connected.jpg
    Connected.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 8
  • Ball.jpg
    Ball.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 2
  • Steering shaft.jpg
    Steering shaft.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 3
  • Poulan Manual pg 1.jpg
    Poulan Manual pg 1.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 5
  • Poulan Manual pg 2.jpg
    Poulan Manual pg 2.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Poulan Manual pg 3.jpg
    Poulan Manual pg 3.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 4
  • Poulan Manual pg 4.jpg
    Poulan Manual pg 4.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 4

dangerdoc

Forum Newbie
Threads
It is a Kubota ZD21 mower.

I have opened the fuel tank to relieve pressure with no change.

It starts fine, and initially runs well. Although when I first noticed the problem it was after I hit a good bump so fuel pump connection is definetly a possibility. I initially thought it may be a bad safety switch but a loose fuel pump connection is something I had not considered.

Keep the good ideas coming, I'll be working on it tomorrow and post an update for anyone that is interested.

When I changed the fuel filter, I did not get soaked with diesel, I will blow out the line to fuel tank tomorrow and see if that makes a difference.

zenapup

Threads
Is it smoking? Does it start smoking when it starts to lose power? If so, what color is the smoke?

Smthng2Do

Forum Newbie
Threads
You may have a fuel contamination issue. Hitting a bump and it goes could be the fuel pump, but could be water contamination as well. The bump lets the water rise in the fuel, allowing to got through the line. If not contamination, I would suspect the fuel pump.

GreenWannabe

Forum Newbie
Threads
When I changed the fuel filter, I did not get soaked with diesel, I will blow out the line to fuel tank tomorrow and see if that makes a difference.

It sounds like maybe you have trash in the tank or the line, ot you may have a small leak that is letting air in the line. I would start as you have suggested, blowing out the line and then look down into the tank opening with a small flashlight, sedd if there is trash in the tank. I've read a number of threads in other forums where trash was intermittently blocking the outlet in the tank, causing the engine to starve out.

Fred

dangerdoc

Forum Newbie
Threads
I got a chance to take the cover off the mower. After blowing out all of the fuel lines and putting everyting back together, I was able to mow for about 5 hours with not problems.

Knock on wood, I think the problem is solved. Thanks for all of the comments, I was just about ready to send it to the dealer. This time of year, it would have taken weeks to get it back.