Blades for rough areas (or not)

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Interesting.

They work great for me :smile:- In another thread someone said they didn't work well on his commercial mower -- why ? I don't know ??????

Mace Canute

Threads
Several years back I made a blade for a friend's lawnmower with the same principles. I took a 2 1/2" wide by 1/2" thick piece of mild steel and mounted two disc mower blades on it, using factory bolts. His mower was a "donor" unit and he cut back the front edge of the deck so the blades can actually reach whatever he wants to cut down, and cut down it does! It's great for a rough cut mower, not all that good for finishing cuts but that's not what he wanted it for. Saplings are not a problem! The blade is much heavier than the original and the increased flywheel effect is certainly not a negative.(Attention was paid to balance when I fabricated it.)

alex

Forum Newbie
Threads
Re Mace Canute post: Many moons back when I was a kid, and the earth was still cooling, dad bot a mower which was probably one of the first rotary models. This was in the 40s after the war, probably 46 or 47. Can't remember the name, but it was built and designed very well. Your idea reminded me of the blade system. It had a flat bar with a standard triangular sickle blade attached with one bolt at each end. Worked great, if hit something it just folded the blade back a bit. I would change the blade every time I mowed, or just turn it over if only used once. Always had a sharp blade. We had several blades so I only had to sharpen the blades once in a while and they were easy to change. Hit the 6 inch Crescent wrench once and put a nice bend in it, still have it. Only folded the sickle blade back a little. Apparently the Meg-Mow system uses a floating blade which sounds like a good idea. This mower had a 3/4 hp Briggs, was painted sort of a light beige color, had two thin aluminum disk wheels on the front, aluminum main frame/deck, was self propelled with a machined cone clutch on each wheel that worked great.

Does anyone remember the name?

Sam Mac

Threads
I have a set on my Cub 1641 with a 46" deck, love em.

jpalasek

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am thinking about ordering a set for my 72 in zero Turn Kubota. Reading the web site shows people are happy with it. Not too many on here saying great. How long has the blades been on the market ?

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I am thinking about ordering a set for my 72 in zero Turn Kubota. Reading the web site shows people are happy with it. Not too many on here saying great. How long has the blades been on the market ?

I don't know how long they have been on the market - I'm sure Mr. Megli would be happy to either answer an e-mail or talk on the phone. I believe i've given those links and numbers.

I just mowed this morning low 50s and still dew on the ground -- no lumps or clumps (could post a picture if you wish) -- They work GREAT for me ! :thumbsup:

Mace Canute

Threads

According to the website, from at least November 2007.:biggrin: