how long is to long or short

trouthog

Forum Newbie
Threads
I prefer to cut lawn long in the spring till mid june. Any recommendations ?

Rpeter1

Threads
If you are trying to keep weeds down in grass the longer you can cut the better.

The trade off is what you want the lawn to look like. If you are cutting at the high end of your mowers range you may need to cut more often.

Muhammad

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
When I used to mow ~12 acres of lawns, I would cut different areas different lengths and frequency depending on how nice I wanted it to look. Something in the range of 3" for the nicer lawn, 4-6" for the rougher more "field" type of lawns. Too short and you'll scalp the high spots which doesn't look very good...

j_kuss

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've cut my lawn(s) at least 3" high for years and use a mulching blade.
I find this creates a beautify lawn after a couple of years.

rekees

Threads
My mowers are at the highest settings. Easier on the grass and mowers that way. The only downside is more frequent mowing.

grnspot110

Threads
My mowers are at the highest settings. Easier on the grass and mowers that way. The only downside is more frequent mowing.

Same here, I like to cut high, better for the grass! ~~ grnspot110

VaughanM

Forum Newbie
Threads
Seasonal precipitation trends are important. The wetter the shorter (2") you can mow without stressing the grass. As the season warms and drys the grass can grow a bit longer (3").
Just a bit of practice that has worked for me.

Cheers

ReggieDeere

Threads
I like my lawn about 3" high as well. I don't believe in cutting your grass too short because it can do a number on the blades. I have sticks, roots, and rocks all over my hard and if I cut to short I would be hitting all of it. The grass looks a lot better a little longer as well.:thumbsup:

I've cut my lawn(s) at least 3" high for years and use a mulching blade.
I find this creates a beautify lawn after a couple of years.

JimmyWeb

Threads
Thanks for the advice. I'll remember that for when I have my new yard in about a week. :biggrin: I don't want to be mowing every 3 days so I want to cut it as short as possible without killing my grass.

Seasonal precipitation trends are important. The wetter the shorter (2") you can mow without stressing the grass. As the season warms and drys the grass can grow a bit longer (3").
Just a bit of practice that has worked for me.

Cheers

mamaA

Threads
We tend to cut in higher in the spring/summer, especially since the hot weather always leaves the grass dead looking... And crunchy. The shadier parts of the yard look great when it's cut high.