Craftman 42 inch rider

jjames23

Forum Newbie
Threads
This machine will not crank up if I shut it down after mowering for a while. Seems like it has to cool down before it will restart. Any suggestions
Thanks-Jesse

scrat2

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just taking a guess here. Maybe a short in your coil/armature. They sometimes act like that when they are getting on their last legs.

jed1950

Forum Newbie
Threads
This machine will not crank up if I shut it down after mowering for a while. Seems like it has to cool down before it will restart. Any suggestions
Thanks-Jesse
Do you have a model number,do you mean that the engine turns over but won't start or it won't start but engine turns over ? if it turns over and won't start then check for spark at the plug,try this when hot and won't start,try first with old plug and if no spark try with new plug,if still no spark then pull off kill wire and check again with new plug(this is the wire that plugs in under side of armature),if no spark then your armature/magneto in bad,replace magneto and adjust air gap.

Gundalf

Forum Newbie
Threads
Check the valve clearance... Mine did that and after trying everything else it turned out to be a valve adjustment back to specs cured it... it would not even turn over... when it cooled the compression dropped off and the starter could do its job... It seems that the thing has an automatic de-compressor built in that allows easy cranking rotation if the valve gap/timing is right on... Wish I knew how to explain it all and the details but I'm sure someone here will know enough to explain better...

Last edited: