Nikki carb pouring gas from elbow on top of carb.

mulch246

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Nikki carb pouring gas from elbow on top of carb.
Hi looking for help. I have a 1997 20 hp vanguard platinum Briggs motor and there are 2 elbows on the top one receives fuel from the pump, and for 21 years the other elbow did nothing until today. As soon as you start the motor fuel rushes out of the smaller diameter elbow and doesn't quite until you shut off the engine. I would not have contacted you, until I saw what a carb kit or replacement carb is in Canadian dollars. the Motor model is 351777 type is 1036-A1 1880. thank you

Threads
Hi looking for help. I have a 1997 20 hp vanguard platinum Briggs motor and there are 2 elbows on the top one receives fuel from the pump, and for 21 years the other elbow did nothing until today. As soon as you start the motor fuel rushes out of the smaller diameter elbow and doesn't quite until you shut off the engine. I would not have contacted you, until I saw what a carb kit or replacement carb is in Canadian dollars. the Motor model is 351777 type is 1036-A1 1880. thank you

Yep those kits are pricey at 133 Bux for a kit and 239 for a new carb US Dollars........

Maybe your elbow/nozzle is loose in the carb and leaking fuel ?? I don't know that from your description..........

A new carb kit won't help you in that situation ..... Kits don't have those brass elbows.....

This is what I know about a machinist's thought on your issue though........ Take the faulty elbow out and have someone drill a over size hole to the proper depth and tap it with new threads so you can put a new fuel connector on it.......

Those are small holes so there are a couple options,,,,,, A machinist might be able to expand your fitting and epoxy it back in.......

That's only my thought on your issue..... My Biz partner is a machinist and does that on a lot of carbs for outboard engines.........

Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I suspect that the float valve isn't sealing and with the fuel pump is overfilling the carb, and blowing the extra fuel out the vent elbow, A carb kit will help that, but also be aware that the vanguard carb kits don't come with the mounting gaskets for the carb to intake or the intake to head, or the carb to air cleaner plate gasket.

Threads
So I see said the blind man ........ I thought the elbow was a loose fit in the carb. Hence the advice for the repair......

I forgot that those have a external vent on them .........

mulch246

Forum Newbie
Threads
So I see said the blind man ........ I thought the elbow was a loose fit in the carb. Hence the advice for the repair......

I forgot that those have a external vent on them .........

Hi I have an update, I managed to buy a new float pin and I polished the seat with a Q-tip and some of my wifes norwex polishing compound and that was all it needed, quick and cheap, thank you for your input