In Need of Shade

Hershey

Threads
What's your favorite way to cutting off the sun's hot rays from penetrating your house? Do you use bushes, trees, awnings, or what exactly? I've been in need of shade for a long time but am having a difficult time getting anything that works.

rekees

Threads
Maple trees grow relatively fast. We have those on the south side of the house. On the west side the house has 2 large windows and there are no trees. It was like a greenhouse in the afternoon so we bought some interior vertical blinds from Lowes to block the sun. They make a big difference.

Hershey

Threads
Yeah, it bakes in this part of the house. I have sunscreens on them which has helped and new windows that help, too. I have interior blinds, but they're the ones we've had forever. Are there really interior blinds that help with sun deflection in terms of heat? I know sun blocking keeps the light out.

tugboatphil

Threads
Be careful with maples if you're putting them on the side of the house with the sewer/ septic pipe. I had a terrible problem with one at my old house, however I still had the sectioned, clay pipe and it got through the joints.

Another good choice for growth speed, looks and shade is a tulip poplar. They do get very tall so plan for the long haul.

grnspot110

Threads
Also, beware of "soft" Maples, they grow fast, but break easily! :frown: We have one on the south side of our house, I keep over hanging limbs cut back from the house.

On the west side I had planted a Bradford Pear & a Pecan tree around 25 years ago. The pecan split this year, I have a log chain around it to hold it until Fall, then I'll have to cut it! :mad::mad::mad: Hate to lose the shade, another tree will be planted in it's place next Spring, haven't decided what variety yet. ~~ grnspot110

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Also consider Ice and wind damage to the fast growing trees... Big problems in many places... BUT I do love shade trees. :smile:KennyV

Green Girl

Threads
We are southwest facing on a dry hill. We have some shade from some tall pines and firs, but none close to the house. We have bamboo shades on the windows, but we are also saving up for some awnings, which will be a nice addition.

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you are using an airconditioner anything you can do to keep the direct sunlight out of your house will pay for it's self fairly quickly. And if this is the case i would sugest you purchase a very inexpensive foam insulation with a metalic reflective backing and place it in the window that allows the direct sunlight to enter your home. Most problems occur with windows that face west and the late afternoon sunlight enters the house and the radiant heat warms the air quickly and can make your airconditioner work much harder than it has too. The costs here can really be excessive.
This material can be cut to fit and easily removed in the winter if only for temporary quick fix until you can get some awnings or shutters.
Even if you are not living in a conditioned space you will find the rsults can be dramatic. Sunlight entering the house can really get hot depending on where in California you live.

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
This isn't exactly an answer to the question but consider installing ridge vents and soffit vents -- if you don't already have them and they are compatible with your house. They greatly increase the ventilation of the attic, allowing the hot air to escape. They also can help get rid of excess moisture in the attic -- which is good for the house.