What makes things organic?

bret

Threads
Does anyone know what makes things classed as organic? The whole idea of the greenhouse sparked my interest in organic plants and produce. Just curious.

BlueGrass

Threads
Not using any pesticides makes it organic. If you use any form of pesticide then you might as well kiss the organic label goodbye. I know some people feel that the soil they use has to be a certain way too.

ted

Threads
I think that trying to be fully organic is not possible, not after all the years past that you might not have access to. Say for example my back yard, who knows what the last owners treated the grass with, right?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
No chemical short cuts... fertilizer, herbicides, pesticides or genetically manipulated seeds/plants....
it is a more labor intensive way to grow things... KennyV

bret

Threads
Basically what I do now uses no chemicals. I don't use round up, I either use something natural to get rid of something or just basically leave it alone. Any one know if manure is considered organic?

bret

Threads
Easy enough. I have a ton of composted manure of my dad's farm. He has had farm animals over the years and it is the most beautiful black earth you have ever seen.

tugboatphil

Threads
I know the intent of this thread, but technically if it's alive and grows, it's organic. :wink:

sallymander

Threads
Any one know if manure is considered organic?
According to USDA organic standards manure must be composted to meet organic certification.
Sewage sludge (Milorganite) is not allowed.
Municipal compost is not allowed by some states' organic standards because most of the lawn waste it's made from is heavy with chemicals.

The rest is as stated, no chemical fertilizers, herbicides, insecticides, fungicides, etc.
No genetically altered plants or seeds.

bret

Threads
I think I need a trip into the town office to see what they can tell me. I would love to grow and sell certified organic produce, I hope this is something I will be able to do.