Stupid pulley!!

mullins87

Threads
I am working on my father's John Deere L120. It started leaking oil around the oil pan gasket under the left side cylinder. The engine is out, and obviously the PTO clutch is off. My problem is how to get the smaller drive pulley off. There are no set screws. It appears this pulley is held on by the PTO clutch and a long bolt that goes up through them both in the shaft. However, I can't get it to budge with damaging the pulley. Any tips or tricks that someone might like to share?

BTW: It's soaking in PB Blaster now.

jameswsr

Threads
Put the heat to it with an aceytelene torch or a propane torch. If that don't do it you may have to cut it off and get a new pulley. Dont worry about ruining the oil seal you should replace that anyways if your pulling the sump.

Robert R.

Forum Newbie
Threads
maybe try wrapping some rags around it to prevent damage to the pulley.

mullins87

Threads
It's been soaking for roughly 24 hours, so maybe it will come off now. If not, I will try the torch. Wouldn't be the first time I've used a torch to get a pulley off, just not on an engine.

What's happening to the pulley is the jaws on my puller are trying to bend it. I do wish I had some way to grab the pulley by its shaft....but I don't.

mullins87

Threads
Woohoo!! The PB Blaster did its thing.:thumbsup: A couple of taps on the puller and the pulley popped right off. Now to get a new oil pan gasket and oil seal for the shaft.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Woohoo!! The PB Blaster did its thing.:thumbsup: A couple of taps on the puller and the pulley popped right off. Now to get a new oil pan gasket and oil seal for the shaft.

PB Blaster... Great stuff... :smile:KennyV