idle only

Nimblewill

Forum Newbie
Threads
Got 20 year old Snapper self propelled mower with a B&S motor. Always runs like new, but took a break from mowing, came back and started it up and it will just idle, won't even try to come up to speed.
I checked the linkage to carb and the butterfly is wide open, after messing with it, it started and ran fine. Stopped it again and when restarted it would only idle.
I'm thinking it must be a problem with the governor, a few times it started to speed up for a second and then go back to idle.
Any suggestions or hints for fixing the governor would be welcome. I don't want to spend a lot of $$$ fixing a 20 year old mower.

David

Forum Newbie
Threads
Try spraying carb cleaner in carb works wonders that is what I try first .

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sounds to me like something is in the carb jets - I'd make sure I know where the jet screws should be set and take one out at a time and spray carb cleaner in the opening from the jet screw - put it back in with proper setting. make sure all the external working parts are free from dirt and move freely. Try it again -- good luck ! If that does work, I'd replace the fuel filter OR do that anyway. I'm not a small engine mechanic - just what I would try !

jspwrplc

Threads
Make sure the air vane on the governor moves free and smooth. if equipped