Ants and mulch

mamaA

Threads
According to my mother putting mulch in a garden will cause ants to fester. Huh? Maybe I'm behind the times but I've never known mulch to cause ant problems. Is this true?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
That has been my experience... that's why you should include coffee grounds with your mulch, it will deter ants. KennyV

cren

Threads
That's funny since I always heard the coffee grounds thing for rose bushes only. I wonder what else it can be used for that would work some wonders.

indypower

Threads
Coffe grounds, along with the filter, are great for the compost pile especially if you are "vermonposting" (using red worms in your compost pile). Helps with their digestion. Plus they seem to like the taste. Now you have caffine high worms that are just hyped up...LOL.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Evergreens do great with coffee grounds... anything that prefers a slightly acidic soil... KennyV

mamaA

Threads
Is it a certain type of mulch that brings ants? Because I have more ants in my yard than I do in the areas that have mulch. And thanks for the info on the coffee grounds. I've heard it before but never used it.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I think different mulches will have different PH so the more alkaline would probably have less attraction to ants. KennyV

mamaA

Threads
KennyV, I'm not sure what kind of mulch we have but I would guess it's possibly pine bark mulch?? We get it from a local saw mill. The price of mulch is ridiculous anymore, especially when you have so many flower beds!

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
The price of mulch is ridiculous anymore, especially when you have so many flower beds!

Check with your local tree trimming folks... they usually have a LOT of shredded limbs and mulch from stump grinding. KennyV

cren

Threads
Its surprising what you can learn from something you thought you already knew! Right now thats about how I feel each time I login here. And the high worms, thats just funny, maybe if you motivate them, they will work quicker? :)