looking for 1st ZTR, heavily leaning on the Liberty Z

Homer1

Threads
  • / looking for 1st ZTR, heavily leaning on the Liberty Z
Any advice on SCAG, what to buy, what not to, how it mows, how it lasts, etc..

I remember seeing SCAG in my area years ago, but never close.. We have a dealer about 30 minutes from here, and the SCAG makes my top 3 list right now compared to the Gravely HD and the Dixie Chopper Magnum.

I'm about to pull my hair out reading reviews, specs, pricing. Why should I choose a Scag? Help me please, lol.. Price range for me, 6k or less, mowing residential varying terrain, less than 3 acres a week.

Shughes717

Lawn Addict
Threads

I remember seeing SCAG in my area years ago, but never close.. We have a dealer about 30 minutes from here, and the SCAG makes my top 3 list right now compared to the Gravely HD and the Dixie Chopper Magnum.

I'm about to pull my hair out reading reviews, specs, pricing. Why should I choose a Scag? Help me please, lol.. Price range for me, 6k or less, mowing residential varying terrain, less than 3 acres a week.

$6k will get you onto a freedom z. Scag makes a very good ztr mower, but so do the other brands you mentioned. The truth is all of the brands that offer high end residential, and commercial ztr mowers make quality machines. It all depends on what you like personally. You will get many different opinions concerning mowers on this site. Most will tell you to pick the brand they own because it's better than the rest.

If you look at the specs on each brand you will see that most offer the exact same brand engines and hydros. They will all also offer a heavy duty commercial deck. Each brand has different extra features that sets them apart from the others. Examples: independant suspension (ferris), flex forks (hustler), stamped 7 gauge steel deck (john Deere), single joystick steering (country clipper), steering wheel option (cub cadet) etc. other than that you are paying for paint color. I suggest looking at mowers that offer at least zt3100 hydros or bigger, and a commercial engine such as the fs series Kawasaki or Briggs commercial turf.

If you are willing to spend $6k on a mower you should be able to find a model mower that offers a drive train in that range for that price. If you want to spend less there are other brands that are priced better, such as husqvarna and snapper pro. Look at every brand available in your area and choose the one that offers the drive train and features you like best. Dealer quality should also play into your decision.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads

What choice is there? I'd forget the others and buy the Dixie chopper Magnum. You'd be foolish not to. The Dixie is a far better mower than the other two, it comes with the Kawasaki FS 22 or 24hp engine which is a commercial engine it also has the 3200 commercial drives which are better drives than the others. The Scag has residential engine and drives and the Gravely HD has a residential engine and 3100 drives. The Dixie has a better warranty with the 3 years bumper to bumper than the Scag or HD. Also if you have varying terrain I'd go with the 50" deck, you'll get a better cut.
The Magnum HP is better yet because it's running the Kawasaki FX and 3400 drives and I mow 70 plus clients every week with that same set up but IMO for the homeowner it would be a little overkill.

Last edited:

Homer1

Threads
I totally agree with the 3100 hydros. The only mower that I've looked at at or around the 6k mark other than the DC was the Gravely, but it's also a residential engine. I love the Scag Liberty Z also but its on the 2800's.

The only concern I have with the Dixie is that they got some serious complaints recently about just not mowing well and not holding up over time, but were recently acquired by a new company who kept the name. I agree their warranty is crazy, but I honestly wonder if I am going to regret the purchase a year in. Not that many current reviews of the unit, the Magnum at least, for me to fire on it.

Maybe if i can somehow swing the FreedomZ Pro unit at 52" cut I can get both the 3100 and FS engine. Their warranty is 3 years, which isn't bad. Plus their service people are local.

I am going to check them out tomorrow, as well as some JD units and Gravely. Guess We will see what happens.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I totally agree with the 3100 hydros. The only mower that I've looked at at or around the 6k mark other than the DC was the Gravely, but it's also a residential engine. I love the Scag Liberty Z also but its on the 2800's.

The only concern I have with the Dixie is that they got some serious complaints recently about just not mowing well and not holding up over time, but were recently acquired by a new company who kept the name. I agree their warranty is crazy, but I honestly wonder if I am going to regret the purchase a year in. Not that many current reviews of the unit, the Magnum at least, for me to fire on it.

Maybe if i can somehow swing the FreedomZ Pro unit at 52" cut I can get both the 3100 and FS engine. Their warranty is 3 years, which isn't bad. Plus their service people are local.

I am going to check them out tomorrow, as well as some JD units and Gravely. Guess We will see what happens.

For you as a homeowner the Scag Liberty Z with the 2800 drives would be more than enough for what you'll be mowing. If the 2800 drives are what you are worrying about don't because there great drives and I'd sure take them in a heart beat and wouldn't be afraid to do it. I put over 1400 hrs on the 2800 drives commercially and never had and issue.
Even if you can swing the FreedomZ Pro it's still not as nice as the Dixie Chopper magnum HP, it runs the FX Kawasaki with the 3400 drives. If your worried about cut check the BTS on the mowers and buy the mower with the highest BTS that will most likely give you your best cut. Most should be around 18,000 bts.

Homer1

Threads
Yeah, I think most all are 18,000+ now, which is probably double the tractor I'm on now!

I appreciate the plug for the 2800 drives though, your the first person who has given me any feedback on their longevity.

I will keep the 2800's in mind if I can't for some reason find something higher. I think with a good warranty and just weekly mowing they should be fine for me.

The only negative information I've ever heard with regard to trans axles occurred by a friend of mine, who mowed commercially with his Gravely. He logged quite a bit of time on the mower, the thing was falling apart last time I borrowed it, but he had to replace both axles after so long, at the tune of about 1k or more each. They went out at different times in the same year.

I have no way of knowing how many true hours they had on them though, but he mowed at full speed and mainly right of ways and farm or ranch style houses with huge hilly yards.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yeah, I think most all are 18,000+ now, which is probably double the tractor I'm on now!

I appreciate the plug for the 2800 drives though, your the first person who has given me any feedback on their longevity.

I will keep the 2800's in mind if I can't for some reason find something higher. I think with a good warranty and just weekly mowing they should be fine for me.

The only negative information I've ever heard with regard to trans axles occurred by a friend of mine, who mowed commercially with his Gravely. He logged quite a bit of time on the mower, the thing was falling apart last time I borrowed it, but he had to replace both axles after so long, at the tune of about 1k or more each. They went out at different times in the same year.

I have no way of knowing how many true hours they had on them though, but he mowed at full speed and mainly right of ways and farm or ranch style houses with huge hilly yards.

I wouldn't worry a whole lot about the drive issue because the size of the drives are basically not relevant unless your interested in transport speeds. I sure wouldn't make a choice on a mower based on the size of the drive units. If you want the best drives you can get on a mower you find a mower that has separate pumps and wheel motors. There a lot better than the Hydro gear single axle trans-axles but they will also cost more. You'll find those on the commercial mowers like Exmark, Toro, Hustler and others.

clay45

Threads
Sorry I can only comment on SCAG as I've now owned or operated the others. Its a lot of money to spend on a lawnmower but if you have to spend a couple of hours a week cutting grass you will understand the virtue of acquiring a quality product. You can jumble up good components and not arrive at a good product. Look into the Freedom Z a little closer. Towards December they tend to cost a bit less as dealers clear out current stock making deals primarily with commercial accounts for next year's models. Fiddle around too long and you'll miss out. You should be able to find something you'll be happy with for $6K and the dealer happy to have you as a new customer.

Homer1

Threads
SO, I have sourced locally both a standard Liberty Z 52 with the kohler engine, and a Liberty Z Pro with the 25 horse Briggs and Stratton engine, nearly the same price, about 100.00 between them.

I am really not a huge Briggs fan, but the upgrades on the Pro alone, including the tranny and wheel size has me really reaching for the Pro.

What would you do? Any reason this Briggs engine shouldn't get plenty of life? It comes with a 3 year warranty.

Going to pick one of them up by days end.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
SO, I have sourced locally both a standard Liberty Z 52 with the kohler engine, and a Liberty Z Pro with the 25 horse Briggs and Stratton engine, nearly the same price, about 100.00 between them.

I am really not a huge Briggs fan, but the upgrades on the Pro alone, including the tranny and wheel size has me really reaching for the Pro.

What would you do? Any reason this Briggs engine shouldn't get plenty of life? It comes with a 3 year warranty.

Going to pick one of them up by days end.

I don't know or I'm not sure of what Briggs you're talking about but you need to check the warranty because unless it's there VG it only a 2 year warranty. Kohler the same for there 7000 series, 2 year consumer 90 day commercial.

http://www.jackssmallengines.com/briggs/briggs_engine_warranty.pdf

Last edited: