The Kohler engine killing me

Lrobby99

Threads
This is the same Toro Recycler giving me headaches since I bought it used from a friend. It seems to be a 2011 he used a couple seasons, then simply stored in a shed with no preparation done first. It was $100

Initially it seemed to run well enough. Got it home, filled with fresh fuel, changed oil, replaced plug and filter, but nothing but trouble. Hard to start, but began cutting okay. I should mention the blade is badly dinged. The engine ran about 15 mins and died. After waiting a few minutes, the engine could start, but then die.

Disassembled, but did not remove the carb. The bowl had a few little crystals in the bottom, and the bowl gasket was crusty, but the carb did not look bad otherwise. The needle looked quite clean, the tip was a smooth black at the point. I replaced a vacuum line between the diaphragm and the front of the carb that was badly cracked and thought that would fix it. The auto choke rod rotated freely, float was fine, everything looked fine. I removed and cleaned the tank, checked the breather lines, checked fuel flow, all looked good. Buttoned it together, added fresh fuel, and it would barely start, then die immediately. Wait a few mins and the engine catches, then dies immediately.

Besides a firing squad, what else can I, a shade tree mechanic at best, do to this beast?
I would take it in to a shop next. The problem there is I'm not convinced this thing cuts all that well and I'm already about $130 into a mower that is $299 brand new.
thanks in advance.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I think the pros would say ...small holes in carb get plugged without purging/doping at shutdown. Somehow try cleaning. Use search function. Lots of examples.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Start the engine.
If you can keep it running by squirting starter fluid in the carb you have a fuel supply problem.
I usully have to pull the entire carb off to clean it properly.
Blow backwards down the carb holes with LOW PRESSURE AIR , remove the main jet clean out the jet and the hole it screws into.

Lrobby99

Threads
All right. One more try. Not much to lose at this point. Thanks.