Poison Ivy

RockHound

Threads
I visited the graves of my family this weekend and one of the graveyards is in a rural setting. I was aghast to find that poison ivy had invaded the areas around the stones! The caretaker is certainly not doing his job. But for now, how do I get rid of the stuff without killing the grass?

ReggieDeere

Threads
I would put on some gardening gloves and pull it up. Try to get it by its roots so it doesn't come back. If it touches your skin make sure you wash your hands within 15 minutes.

I visited the graves of my family this weekend and one of the graveyards is in a rural setting. I was aghast to find that poison ivy had invaded the areas around the stones! The caretaker is certainly not doing his job. But for now, how do I get rid of the stuff without killing the grass?

Greenblades

Threads
I agree. Get sturdy gloves, wear long sleeves, pull it all up AND have a batch of tecnu already purchased just in case. I was all femme macho last summer and deliberately handled one tiny leaf of poison ivy. I suffered for days. The tecnu really, really, REALLY helped. It was amazing.

Whatever you do, DON'T burn the poison ivy before or after you pull it out. The fumes can do very serious damage to your lungs.

mystreba

Threads
I had some poison ivy take root in an area that the kids loved to play in :frown: I had good luck with a spray that was designed specifically for poison ivy. I think it was made by the same folks that make roundup. Anyway, it's a good solution for smaller infestations.

Greenblades

Threads
Weedkillers always make me nervous. I don't know exactly how they affect the water supply. But then again I don't know what I would do if I had a whole yard to pull.

BlueGrass

Threads
You have to watch out because the oil on the leaves can be on the stones and if you touch the stones you can get poison ivy. I hate poison ivy with a passion and wouldn't mind if it would go away forever. What is it good for anyway?

Helper

Threads
It is good for something even though we don't know it.

I don't hate poison ivy but it doesn't mean that I like it. I also uproot them if ever it grows in my garden and it happened just once. I hope I never have to deal with it again.

RockHound

Threads
Thank you BKBrown. This is a picture of a lady who lived down the road from my grandmother. She was very special to my family and we got this picture when she died. She had the most beautiful long hair even when I knew her as an older woman.

As far as the poison ivy. I have no idea what it's good for, it is a horrid vine that causes no end of trouble. I have bought some Round Up that I'm taking this weekend to spray on the nasty stuff. Thanks everyone!