Troy Bilt Horse Tiller - Tecumseh engine - Problem

campervan12000

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Troy Bilt Horse Tiller - Tecumseh engine - Problem
Hi, my first post.
I have a Troy Bilt tiller, which after a number of years standing, started like a dream, straight from storage, but after a couple of hours use, the carb float failed and everything stopped. No problem, new part, from OD. Started first pull after priming but then disaster. I had not secured the small rubber pipe similar to the fuel pipe which I assume is a breather of some sort that attaches into the elbow into the side of the carb in a position between the air filter and the carb itself. It slipped off it and pumped out what appears to be copious amount of engine oil and yuck in a continuous and dirty flow, increasing with engine speed. If I reconnect the engine continues to run at start speed for a couple of minutes then stops. What is this stuff should it be flowing continuously? as the quantities surely cannot just be burned up..... Any advice would be appreciated as I have a lot of tilling to do....

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
That tube is the crankcase vent tube...
It sounds like you are OVER full with oil, or water has got into the oil and brought the level up to the point the crank is splashing it around thus forcing it out the vent... Check your oil level... KennyV

Threads
There is a good chance with carb problems your crankcase is diluted with gas as well causing the overfull condition.