Welcome to "Which Mower For Me?"

Muhammad

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
Please post your lawn mower buying, pricing and comparison questions in this section. :eek:

myself

Forum Newbie
Threads
That's completely different depending upon how large one's yard is, how many obstacles, and how far apart the obstacles are.

In my case, we have 1.5 acres, 14 trees (aside from the Cypress trees that line the far back part of the yard), a 12x16 shed, and children's playset (designed and built by me). We have a 66" deck, zero turn, Swisher, with a 27 hp Briggs & Stratton engine.
All the trees are 16' apart (or more), and most of the cypress trees have grown enough that they require very little cutting underneath of them.

Now, if I had 1/2 acre or less, I wouldn't go with such a wide lawnmower.
If there were a fence that didn't have a wide enough gate opening to fit the mower, I would have bought a smaller deck mower.

The zero turn mower is fantastic to use once I got used to it. I found that I often ended up going over the same spots more than one time because the traditional craftsmen didn't turn quickly enough to work as easily as the zero turn mower.

Edited to add: We bought it for $4,000 with only 120 hours on the motor. And it still works great going into our 3rd year.

Last edited:

jmessing

Threads
ZTRs - what my second model would have!

I have a Toro Z400 48" cut. I think it's 18hp. I generally happy with the brand but have had a few electrical problems, even though it has lived all but 180 hours of its four year life in our garage. If I were to do it all over again, my criteria would include:
- ZTR
- a need to test mow it in heavy wet grass
- 24+ hp
- a diesel, since it can run off home heating oil - might as well skip the road tax if you can
- larger, fatter rear wheels
- cuttings collection options
- for my application (three acres with a possibility of eight) - 48-54 inch deck
- good seat
- foot pedal deck lift - if you don't you'll wish you had it later
- a hitch
I guess that puts me in a commercial model. Anyone want to buy my Z400, name me a price!
- Joe

jcrossfield

Forum Newbie
Threads
jmessing gives good advice. The dealer is very important imho. Unless you plan on doing all the maintenace yourself. But you still a dealer for parts and advice. I bought a ZTR and am very satisfied with its performance. If you have several slopes that you think you might be able to mow - think low center of gravity. Mine has never turned on its side, but it has slid sideways. Very scarry.

I also like the walk-behinds.

toddol1971

Forum Newbie
Threads
sounds like you need a badboy. I do exactly like you want to do with mine.

wcthinebak

Forum Newbie
Threads
Have been using a JD X595 w/62C deck for ~5 acres since 2002. Prior to that was a JD 850 w/Woods 72" belly mount. Both performed well with minimal problems. Principal problem with 62C was deterioration of guide wheels which can be replaced. With the Woods it was the periodic failure of the serpentine belt.

Now considering replacing the mower with a JD X749. Looking at the 62X mower and wondering about the suitability of the commercial grade 60" 7-iron deck. I really don't have any problem with the thought of using the 62X except I wonder if the 7-iron (if applicable) would cut cleaner (no clumps when grass is too tall or wet) and do less scalping (with more anti-scalping wheels).