Moles/Voles

Grass ala Mowed

Threads
My girlfriend has a terrible problem with moles or voles digging up her yard. It is very soft and inviting soil, unlike most of the clay here in coastal Virginia. How do we get rid of them? She's not particularly fond of varmints, so lethal methods are acceptable. She tried putting down grub poison to remove the food source - didn't do the trick.

wesk

Forum Newbie
Threads
Castor oil mixed with water and sprayed thoroughly on the yard may help. do it just before a rain or water it in good. Moles can't stand the smell.

bdlcycles

Forum Newbie
Threads
My grandmother swares by putting a piece of Rigglys Spearmint Gum in thier holes! I guess there is somthing in the gum that they cant digest and it kills them,but the caster oil seems alot easier then digging up and putting a bunch of gum in the ground!:laughing:

RockHound

Threads
We fortunately have three cats who LOVE moles for dinner. We stopped having any problem with them after the cats moved in. Plus the cats run off snakes, frogs and lizards. We don't have many critters since the cats are here.:thumbsup:

Grass ala Mowed

Threads
She tried the gum, no success and doesn't want any pets, aka cats. She had an old can of starting fluid, it's mostly ether, which we sprayed in the holes and it seemed to slow them down (literally) but they're back. She also tried garlic powder in the holes with no luck. We'll try the castor oil.

rmancini

Threads
Here in Washington State, moles are ALL over the place. In the past I've tried all the "chemical" treatments: Gum, castor oil, smoke bombs, etc,etc.
The only thing I've had success with is the spring-type traps. Started using them years ago and I'm up to 271 confirmed kills. Moles are so cute ---When they're dead. Be careful - the traps can be dangerous. Read the directions.

rmancini

Threads
Here's a close-up of #160!

attachment.php

Last edited:

Rickstir

Forum Newbie
Threads
It is said that the moles are after grub worms which later turn into June bugs. We use diazonon on the grass and the moles don't seem to be as bad this year.

Hand2ThePlow

Threads
Moles are difficult to get rid of, you have to find the active run or you're wasting your time. Trapping is the best method because you know when you're successful. Poison gas is hit and miss and you never know the results unless all the activity stops which is unlikely.

I'd highly recommend visting this web site to learn about moles: http://www.themoleman.com/

JimmyWeb

Threads
Moles are carnivores and voles are vegetarians, so it is important to know what you are dealing with. There's a granual product called Mole-Max by Bonide, that I've heard works, the main ingredient is castor oil though so you could probably save some money and make up a mixture yourself. I've also heard coffee grounds will help, if you put them in the mole trails. They upset the grubs, which are what the moles feed on. :smile: