How often do you replace your deck spindle bearings?

cprice12

Threads
I have my deck apart, replacing the deck pulleys...and I was wondering if the bearings should be replaced while I have it apart?
It has 415 hours on it...I bought it used this year and I have no idea if they have ever been replaced, but the bearings aren't loose and there is no play in the spindle shaft or anything...pulleys don't wobble. Seems solid. I keep them greased up.
The reason I ask, is because when I turn the pulley, it doesn't keep spinning like a top...but it does turn smooth when I am turning it, I just can't spin it like a top and have it keep going.
I'm not sure if that is the way they are supposed to be or not.

If replacement is recommended, then there is the issue of getting it apart. :) And finding the right bearings.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have my deck apart, replacing the deck pulleys...and I was wondering if the bearings should be replaced while I have it apart? It has 415 hours on it...I bought it used this year and I have no idea if they have ever been replaced, but the bearings aren't loose and there is no play in the spindle shaft or anything...pulleys don't wobble. Seems solid. I keep them greased up. The reason I ask, is because when I turn the pulley, it doesn't keep spinning like a top...but it does turn smooth when I am turning it, I just can't spin it like a top and have it keep going. I'm not sure if that is the way they are supposed to be or not. If replacement is recommended, then there is the issue of getting it apart. :) And finding the right bearings.

I would replace the bearings they are cheap and easy to replace.

From what you are saying I think the bearings are ok. They should not spin free like a top. I always replace mine at 500 hours

Bearings are easy to find. 80% of mowers use the same bearings.

You can find them on eBay.
Oregon makes the best.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have my deck apart, replacing the deck pulleys...and I was wondering if the bearings should be replaced while I have it apart?
It has 415 hours on it...I bought it used this year and I have no idea if they have ever been replaced, but the bearings aren't loose and there is no play in the spindle shaft or anything...pulleys don't wobble. Seems solid. I keep them greased up.
The reason I ask, is because when I turn the pulley, it doesn't keep spinning like a top...but it does turn smooth when I am turning it, I just can't spin it like a top and have it keep going.
I'm not sure if that is the way they are supposed to be or not.

If replacement is recommended, then there is the issue of getting it apart. :) And finding the right bearings.

There will be a number on the old bearings. I get my bearing off E-Bay. Most any auto parts store or bearing dealer sells bearings using the bearing number. You can also get OEM bearings.

cprice12

Threads
So, if I take the spindle apart to get to the bearings, is there a trick to doing that?
I am at work right now and haven't tried it yet.
I can see myself trying to take it apart, and nothing budging and then not knowing what to do. I assume once the pulleys are off, it's just a matter of tapping the spindle out using a block of wood and a hammer?

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
So, if I take the spindle apart to get to the bearings, is there a trick to doing that? I am at work right now and haven't tried it yet. I can see myself trying to take it apart, and nothing budging and then not knowing what to do. I assume once the pulleys are off, it's just a matter of tapping the spindle out using a block of wood and a hammer?

Some just pop right out.
Some there is a snap ring holding then in.

What brand and model mower is it?

cprice12

Threads
Some just pop right out.
Some there is a snap ring holding then in.

What brand and model mower is it?

It's a Bush Hog ZT25. It's an older mower...maybe 14 years old.
And yeah, I know there is a snap ring on top below the pulley and on the bottom near where the blade attaches. I had the top snap rings off last night when I was cleaning it off before putting the pulleys back on.

cprice12

Threads
So, by removing the snap rings, the spindle should then slide out with some tapping?
For some reason, I think I'm going to have to beat the hell out of it to get it out. :smile: