Grasshopper 721D Low Volatge

treenerd

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Grasshopper 721D with a Kubota engine. Last year it became difficult to start. It has gotten worse over time. The volt meter reads very low even with a strong battery hooked up to the system. When attempting to jump start it with my truck, I read just over 10 Vdc.
I have disconnected most all of the electrial systems in an attempt to isolate the drain on the system. Of course some systems isolate everything when you disconnect them.
Has anyone else seen a similar situation? If so, where should I focus my efforts?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Look for a bad ground connection... or several bad ground connection.
Also check the cables and their connections at the battery. KennyV

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Is there a voltage regulator - or is it built into the alternator ? I'd take the alternator or alternator and regulator in and have that tested.

jhwentworth

Threads
I have a Grasshopper 721D with a Kubota engine. Last year it became difficult to start. It has gotten worse over time. The volt meter reads very low even with a strong battery hooked up to the system. When attempting to jump start it with my truck, I read just over 10 Vdc.
I have disconnected most all of the electrial systems in an attempt to isolate the drain on the system. Of course some systems isolate everything when you disconnect them.
Has anyone else seen a similar situation? If so, where should I focus my efforts?

First thing to check is the charging system. Do you have a test meter, preferably a DVM? If not, you're not going to have much luck troubleshooting an electrical problem. What's the voltage with a charged battery and the engine not running? Should be 12.5+ volts. If the voltage when the engine is running is less than 13.5+ volts the charging system isn't working, unless the battery is damaged. If the voltage looks okay then check for a current drain. Set your meter up for reading DC amps and put the leads in series with the positive terminal and the red battery cable wit the engine turned off. You shouldn't see any current draw.

If you don't use a meter to work this problem you'll spend a lot of time and money swapping parts, and it might be cheaper to take it to a shop.