"69" Deere 110 unreliable, will it start, or not

irwin

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok Muhammad, I'll get this started :biggrin:

This is more to help me get off my duff and tackle this agravating tractor. I've owned it for a few years. The first year was fine, it started up right up til the weather got colder. I had it running since, but it always seems to need tweaking.. I've overhauled the carb, replaced the plug, points, condensor etc.... when it runs it has good power, doesn't need ether to start (although it's always been touchy about choke and throttle position for cold starts)

Well one time I couldn't start it period... so it sat for 6-8 months I finally pushed on the truck and brought it to work with me..after poking around I found a broken wire for the primary ignition (see attached image) from stator to points, got that fixed and for three weeks I had a working cart puller. Hasn't started since last august and I need to tackle it again soon..

It would be nice if this was dependable, I need this heavy little guy for hauling my firewood cart..I'm using a Craftsman L2000 now. The Craftsman is okay, but nowhere near up to the task, I'm hauling less than full cart loads so it'll be able to do the job. The little lawn tractor wasn't designed for this heavy work, if I keep pushing it I'll be sitting halfway to the wood pile with a blown motor :rolleyes: :biggrin:

I have several mowers: two self propelled walk behinds, two craftsman lawn tractors.. the John Deere isn't for grass cutting. I also have a Kubota L35TLB, and a New Holland L555 skid steer. All those machine have specific jobs... I wanted a dependable cart hauler, instead I have a time waster :smile:

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_01 May_ 05 18_46.jpg
    ScreenHunter_01 May_ 05 18_46.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 31

44carbine

Threads
I love them old 110s. I have a JD 318. Neighbor has an old Ford I am trying to get.

yardiron

Threads
I own a 112, with a Kohler engine. It was given to me with the explanation that it needed an engine.
I brought it home, filled the tank and it started and has ran good ever since. I've literally done nothing to the motor other than change the oil and air filter a few times in 7 years. Last year I decided it was time to make this on nice again and have stripped it down for a repaint and some TLC, plus a new set of tires.

I believe the 110 came with either a Kohler or a Tecumseh? Which to you have?

All engines just need the basics to run, fuel, air, spark, compression, and correct timing.

Muhammad

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
I own a 112, with a Kohler engine. It was given to me with the explanation that it needed an engine.
I brought it home, filled the tank and it started and has ran good ever since.

Sounds like you made out pretty well on that deal. :biggrin: :thumbsup:

irwin

Forum Newbie
Threads
I believe the 110 came with either a Kohler or a Tecumseh? Which to you have?

All engines just need the basics to run, fuel, air, spark, compression, and correct timing.

It's a Kohler 8 hp, and yes just the basics to run :biggrin: Of course it's also about the time without the use of it while figuring out which basic it's missing and why. :wink:

I've thought about repowering it with a newer more powerful engine.. but that also takes time.. Too many projects going on, however.... I will find the time to diagnose it again. :rolleyes:

s1120

Forum Newbie
Threads
Is it cranking, or just not firing? Check all the connections. I had to redo almost all the wire ends on my 70 112. Biggest problem has been the wires on the amp guage, and the safty switch for the PTO sticking.

jet62095

Threads
It's a Kohler 8 hp, and yes just the basics to run :biggrin: Of course it's also about the time without the use of it while figuring out which basic it's missing and why. :wink:

I've thought about repowering it with a newer more powerful engine.. but that also takes time.. Too many projects going on, however.... I will find the time to diagnose it again. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't re-power it, it ruins the originality (opinion of course) and you'll never get as much torque out of a newer engine. Best of luck on getting it running!
- Jet

irwin

Forum Newbie
Threads
Update: I was never impressed with the spark at the plug even when it ran good, so I ordered and received the stator last week. Cleaned the points, plug, replaced the stator and it now starts and runs better than it ever did for me.. (the points, condensor, and plug are pretty new). No more fiddling with the choke/throttle.. just give it 1/2 to 3/4 throttle and choke it and it's running..:thumbsup:

Here's a picture from when I first bought it.. it looked good with the Deere 770 I had at the time.
The next pic is the magneto/stator assembly removed.

The whole idea was to get this ready to pull the firewood cart.. well, I couldn't wait so I picked up a Cub Cadet 1541 for the job.. now I have an extra cart hauler. :biggrin: anyone in New England in the market for a great running, nice looking Deere 110. :wink:

Attachments

• deere and deere.jpg
    deere and deere.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 23
  • misc 7-12-10 004.jpg
    misc 7-12-10 004.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 18