Anyway to keep my dog lot from turning completely to dirt?

JimmyWeb

Threads
  • / Anyway to keep my dog lot from turning completely to dirt?
The new house that I am moving to soon is a nice chunk of land, about an acre. I want to build a dog lot for my German Shepard puppy for when he gets older. However I don't want that lot to turn into nothing but dirt. Any suggestions?

monica123

Threads
Perhaps you could build it on either a cement pad, which is unfortunately hard compacted dirt, or on wood and keep moving it around so it does not do too much damage in one place.

Threads
Pea gravel is a good base for a dog run, good drainage and easy pick up of landmines, what I did with mine is tarp the ground and with a pitch fork poke lots of holes in the tarp for drainage then put the pea gravel on top, the tarp keeps the pea gravel from just working it way into the soil:thumbsup:

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
http://www.kennelfloor.com/product.php

No first hand knowledge -- do a search for kennel flooring -- You might want to leave a corner with pea gravel or some such so there is just one area to "do the business".

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Just curious... What did this bad dog do, so as to require caging in a cell so small that his presents will defoliate it?
You have an acre, why hot share it with your dog?:smile:

monica123

Threads
Our dog runs loose when were home, when were away he is chained, we also plan to build a dog run so he has a bigger run of space, but it will only be used when we are not there.

dnjsyl

Threads
We let our dog be part of the family. He is in the house when its hot so that he can be in the air conditioning. He is in a climate controlled house and goes outside with us when we r home. He is a great watch dog and is a very important part of the family. We have always treated all our dogs very good and spend time with them.......in a kennel all their life is no way to live.......MY OPINION.....

djb132

Forum Newbie
Threads
Why have a dog if you are going to cage him up? Would you like to be in a dog run all the time?

ReggieDeere

Threads
My Pa has a couple of dogs fenced in a large area, and the grass is as green as ever. There poop fertilizes the lawn really well. Unless your dog is a real troublemaker I don't think you will have anything to worry about. In fact you might wish that your grass wasn't growing so fast.:wink:

Rip

Threads
Plant Kudzu in it.

No way a dog can stay ahead of that stuff!

:laughing:

rip