Cub Cadet keeps conking out-fuel pump?

just_puttering

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all, my 1340 will only start with the choke on, even when warm. Once it starts i can release the choke. It will mow for 5-10 minutes and then conks out. Especially with a load on like the pto. I have thourgly cleaned the carb, adjusted the idle and fuel mixture screws, replaced air filter, pre filter, oil ect. I am ready to replace the fuel pump , but is there a way to test it? I can disconnect the fuel line to the carb, but I am not sure how much it should pump. It has a diaphram, but I don't think it is available as a sep part. any ideas?

chjr69

Forum Newbie
Threads
I would check for a plugged filter or inlet screen in the tank, a cracked hose from the tank to the fuel pump. If that checks out OK you can check the fuel pressure withe a low pressure fuel gauge or a old style vacuum gauge as pressure should be 2 psi. to 4 psi. you should also check for volume of fuel, I do not know the numbers but it should fill a 20 oz. bottle 1/4 way in 30 seconds when cranking motor.
This is some work but are you sure you got the carb. clean?
Good luck
chjr69

indypower

Threads
Check the gas cap. The vent could be clogged. Very common problem on push mowers, chainsaws and other tractors.

irwin

Forum Newbie
Threads
Check the gas cap. The vent could be clogged. Very common problem on push mowers, chainsaws and other tractors.

2+ ...It's happened to me. Might not be your problem, but it sure is easy to check out. :biggrin:

packardv8

Threads
I have a similar problem which I've traced to vapor lock of the fuel pump. Working on a solution now.

jack vines

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Every 2000 series Cud Cadet with a fuel problem I have worked on ended up being crud in the fuel tank.
Three quartes of the overheating problems encounted with 2000 series Cub Cadets ended up being crud in the fuel tank.

Because it is a such a PIA to pull the rear fenders off, seat off & tank out people refuse to believe that tank can be a problem but it is.
Big tank that breathes through the big low fuel cap sucks a lot of dust that builds up around the outlet pipe, some of which look like they were not formed properly and are quite small.
Add the odd bit of grass and you will get a fuel blockage that oft takes 15 minute to an hour to choke the engine.

Very simple test.

With the tank no more than 1/2 full, remove the fuel cap and blow compressed air down the feed line to the fuel pump for a good minute or so.
If the problem goes away for a day or so, it is crud blocking the fuel outlet.
This is not a fix because all the crud will eventually find its way back to the outlet again.
Although I do have one cantankerous old ***** who won't pay me the 3 hours it takes to do the job and won't do it himself so he just blows the tank when it is a problem.
Says he has to do it 4 or 5 times a season & he mows about 3 acres on his 5 acre lot with this mower.
I have drilled out 4 or 5 of these tanks as there are a lot of Cubs in my run.
Worked it out by accident when doing a head job and noiced here was no where near enough fuel in the feed line and when finished we noticed it had fallen to the floor but was not draining fuel out.
Being new to Cubs we made the assumption that there must be a cut off solenoid at the tank "what excellent quality " but no when I checked there is no cut off and when we did the tyres we pulled the tank and there was a lot of crud stuck in the neck thatthe fuel line attaches to.
Cleaned that out with the hook end of my trusty Tecumseh carb tool , that oddly enough has never been used on a Tecumseh carb, drained the tank, pulled the tank. ran the pressure washer through it and it blocked up again. Took 2 or 3 cleaing cycles to come good.
Got the Dremel tool out & removed a lip & moulding fin from the outlet neck , enlarged and smoothed out the hole .
Problem Solved.
This mower will now work all day and oft does.
During Summer they will run near 60 gallons through it in a day ( 2145 with CH 640 ) and it won't miss a beat.
That caused them to go searching for another and they got one cheap because it had a "mystery overheating problem" which sure enough was cured the same way.

So far I have had one TIme Cutter come in with the same symptoms & it was the same problem although Toro has done a better job with their side mounted tank with a higher filler neck they still get a lot of grass clippings in there which get snagged on the outlet.

And Jack, I would bet London to a house brick, your vapour lock will be the same problem.
So try giving the tank a blow and see if it makes a difference.