Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    29
    Location
    Alabama
    Mower
    MTD - Yard Machines

    MTD Yard Machines mower blades won't engage

    model 13ah762f752
    serial 1c206b20224

    My mower will start however whenever I try to engage the blades they won't start

  2.  

  3. #2

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,319
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Mower
    Toro

    Re: MTD Yard Machines mower blades won't engage

    Can you turn them by hand, WITH THE UNIT OFF? Has the belt jumped? Are all pulleys free? Is the belt tight? Need a little more info.
    This is only my opinion, and many will say it ain't worth a darn, as I'm only a retired grease monkey instructor and not a professional mechanic. Use what I post at your own risk as you know teachers only know book knowledge.

  4. #3

    2,500 Post Club

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,557
    Location
    Illinois
    Mower
    kioti/rhino finish mower

    Re: MTD Yard Machines mower blades won't engage

    From the model number that looks like the model with the deck engagement on the right fender. Possibly a broken engagement cable. they like to break right at the end were the tension springs connects
    ILLINOIS ENGINE, BEECHER CITY, IL
    BRIGGS AND STRATTON MST (MASTER SERVICE TECHNICIAN)
    Sales and Service for Dolmar, Poulan, Briggs and Stratton, Kohler, Lauson(Tecumseh, LCT), Generac, Brute.
    Warranty service for MTD, Murray, Powerwasher, Karcher, Mcculloch, Earthwise, Earthquake, Yamaha engines, Hisun, American Sportsworks, Worx, Rockwell Tools, Great Lakes Technologies products(Wen, CZ), Efco, Snap-On pressure washers, and others.

  5. #4

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    29
    Location
    Alabama
    Mower
    MTD - Yard Machines

    Re: MTD Yard Machines mower blades won't engage

    Quote Originally Posted by Rivets View Post
    Can you turn them by hand, WITH THE UNIT OFF? Has the belt jumped? Are all pulleys free? Is the belt tight? Need a little more info.
    I can turn them. The belt is in place however there isn't much tension on it. I put a new belt on because I thought perhaps the belt was stretched out. I took pictures to make sure I routed it properly....same issue with the new belt.

    Quote Originally Posted by ILENGINE View Post
    From the model number that looks like the model with the deck engagement on the right fender. Possibly a broken engagement cable. they like to break right at the end were the tension springs connects
    The handle that engages the belt works but it seems like it just does not put enough tension on the belt. Should I drop the deck and take a picture?



    edit-It looks like when I put the handle down a spring pulls back the bracket that the idle pulley (I think) sits on. I'm not sure if that spring has enough tension on it. Might that be the problem?

  6. #5

    2,500 Post Club

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,557
    Location
    Illinois
    Mower
    kioti/rhino finish mower

    Re: MTD Yard Machines mower blades won't engage

    Had an issue with a customer mowers a few years back, may of been the same model. In his cause his wife was mowing, and heard a pop, and then the deck wouldn't engage. After close examination, found that the frame around the engine mount has stress relieved, and the front of the engine drops about the thickness of a washer. Because of how far the deck drive pulley is located from the engine, it moved the deck drive pulley on the engine back about 3/4 inch. After shimming the front of the engine with a washer, has been working fine since.
    ILLINOIS ENGINE, BEECHER CITY, IL
    BRIGGS AND STRATTON MST (MASTER SERVICE TECHNICIAN)
    Sales and Service for Dolmar, Poulan, Briggs and Stratton, Kohler, Lauson(Tecumseh, LCT), Generac, Brute.
    Warranty service for MTD, Murray, Powerwasher, Karcher, Mcculloch, Earthwise, Earthquake, Yamaha engines, Hisun, American Sportsworks, Worx, Rockwell Tools, Great Lakes Technologies products(Wen, CZ), Efco, Snap-On pressure washers, and others.

  7. #6

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    29
    Location
    Alabama
    Mower
    MTD - Yard Machines

    Re: MTD Yard Machines mower blades won't engage

    Quote Originally Posted by ILENGINE View Post
    Had an issue with a customer mowers a few years back, may of been the same model. In his cause his wife was mowing, and heard a pop, and then the deck wouldn't engage. After close examination, found that the frame around the engine mount has stress relieved, and the front of the engine drops about the thickness of a washer. Because of how far the deck drive pulley is located from the engine, it moved the deck drive pulley on the engine back about 3/4 inch. After shimming the front of the engine with a washer, has been working fine since.
    I'll look under there in a few minutes and post what I see.

  8. #7

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    29
    Location
    Alabama
    Mower
    MTD - Yard Machines

    Re: MTD Yard Machines mower blades won't engage

    Quote Originally Posted by ILENGINE View Post
    Had an issue with a customer mowers a few years back, may of been the same model. In his cause his wife was mowing, and heard a pop, and then the deck wouldn't engage. After close examination, found that the frame around the engine mount has stress relieved, and the front of the engine drops about the thickness of a washer. Because of how far the deck drive pulley is located from the engine, it moved the deck drive pulley on the engine back about 3/4 inch. After shimming the front of the engine with a washer, has been working fine since.
    Does this drop occur when the handle is engaged? I couldn't see any movement when I engaged the handle if so.

  9. #8

    2,500 Post Club

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,557
    Location
    Illinois
    Mower
    kioti/rhino finish mower

    Re: MTD Yard Machines mower blades won't engage

    Once the front of his engine dropped it stayed there. Look at the engine, and how it sits on the frame. Does the front of the engine look like its lower than the rear. look at the big pulley on the engine where the deck belt goes. Does it look like it is slightly leaning toward the rear of the mower.
    ILLINOIS ENGINE, BEECHER CITY, IL
    BRIGGS AND STRATTON MST (MASTER SERVICE TECHNICIAN)
    Sales and Service for Dolmar, Poulan, Briggs and Stratton, Kohler, Lauson(Tecumseh, LCT), Generac, Brute.
    Warranty service for MTD, Murray, Powerwasher, Karcher, Mcculloch, Earthwise, Earthquake, Yamaha engines, Hisun, American Sportsworks, Worx, Rockwell Tools, Great Lakes Technologies products(Wen, CZ), Efco, Snap-On pressure washers, and others.

  10. #9

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    29
    Location
    Alabama
    Mower
    MTD - Yard Machines

    Re: MTD Yard Machines mower blades won't engage

    Quote Originally Posted by ILENGINE View Post
    Once the front of his engine dropped it stayed there. Look at the engine, and how it sits on the frame. Does the front of the engine look like its lower than the rear. look at the big pulley on the engine where the deck belt goes. Does it look like it is slightly leaning toward the rear of the mower.
    Sorry. I've been working my my car. I'll check this out when I get in today..

  11. #10

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    29
    Location
    Alabama
    Mower
    MTD - Yard Machines

    Re: MTD Yard Machines mower blades won't engage

    So........I'm an idiot. Somehow I had the wrong belt, AND it was misrouted. I bought the correct belt and now it cuts HOWEVER, now my my mower won't start. lol I fixed one problem and now another has popped up.

Similar Threads

  1. MTD-Yard Machines pull starter cable and spring... can it be fixed?
    By csobrien in forum Small Engine & Mower Repair
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-15-2013, 02:24 PM
  2. we have two different mtd riding mowers yard machines
    By tnpbarron in forum Small Engine & Mower Repair
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-25-2012, 09:38 PM
  3. Mulching MTD Yard Machines RL 638
    By sslouch in forum MTD Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-28-2011, 08:36 PM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-09-2011, 04:57 PM
  5. Repairs MTD - Yard Machines slips out of gear
    By ITSANSS in forum MTD Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-10-2011, 10:31 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •