Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1
    Location
    Montana
    Mower
    John Deere

    Husqvarna vs Cub Cadet

    My 14-year-old John Deere LX 178 is severely wounded and close to death. The rings on one cylinder are bypassing gasoline which renders that side inoperable. Replacing the rings, etc. on both sides will run $1,000 plus. Buying a new short block costs in incredible $2,500 from my local JD dealer (before labor).

    So I am shopping for a new mower and have narrowed my choices down to a Husqvarna YTH21K46 (21 hp, 46-inch, hydro), or a Cub Cadet LTX1045 (20 hp, 46-inch, hydro). Both are priced at $1,600 and I believe either will do the mowing job I require.

    My question is this: Is one demonstrable better that the other or are they pretty much even?

    I mow in dusty conditions on some hilly terrain and, as a result, have gone through a few mowers. I smoked a $2900 Craftsman in nine years and my $3900 John Deere in 14 years. I figure I've got about five years of mowing left before we sell this property and after that I will downgrade myself to a walk-behind.

    I've never owned a product from either Husqvarna or Cub Cadet, so have no first hand knowledge of their quality. Any opinion would be appreciated.

    Thanks in advance for any help.

  2.  

  3. #2


    5,000 Post Club
    lawn mower fanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    6,175
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Mower
    Honda HRX, Honda HRR

    Re: Husqvarna vs Cub Cadet

    ------------
    I moved your thread to the Mower Buying & Pricing Forum.
    ------------

    Personally I would go with a Husqvarna.
    -lawn mower fanatic

    Equipment:
    4x6 utility trailer
    Honda HRX217HYA mower---Honda HRR216TDA mower---Craftsman 24" 179cc dual-stage snow blower---Echo SRM-225 trimmer---Echo GT-2100 trimmer---Echo PB-255LN handheld blower---Echo PE-225 edger---Black and Decker 22" electric hedge trimmer

  4. #3
    Carscw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    5,346
    Location
    Georgia
    Mower
    Toro

    I got a new cub cadet LTX a few weeks ago very good mower for the money. Only bad is the cup holder is to wide and my can jumps out

    (( racing is the only sport that you need two balls ))

  5. #4
    TnHusky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    125
    Location
    Tennessee
    Mower
    Husqvarna

    Re: Husqvarna vs Cub Cadet

    Thomas first of all welcome to the forum. I too had the same decision as you about a month ago. I chose the YTH24k48 from Husqvarna. I looked at all the reviews from Lowes and or Home Depot and the Husqvarna came out on Top. Direct Mowers and another site that I can't recall also chose the Husqvarna over the Cub. So my decision was made. I'd get the Twin Cylinder if it was me, less problems in the past on them from Kohler even though they claim problems are fixed on the single cylinders. If you go down and look at some of the other threads there are also more comments which you will also get here no doubt also. I'm happy with my choice, mowed 3 times now and have 9 hrs on it and I love it. 10 yr warranty on the deck versus 5 yr was a big selling point as well for me.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  6. #5

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    6
    Location
    Washington
    Mower
    Cub Cadet

    Re: Husqvarna vs Cub Cadet

    Quote Originally Posted by Carscw View Post
    I got a new cub cadet LTX a few weeks ago very good mower for the money. Only bad is the cup holder is to wide and my can jumps out

    (( racing is the only sport that you need two balls ))
    I have this same issue with my new CC RZT42. I have spoken with the dealer about the issue and so far they have been very accommodating. He stopped by the house with some replacement cans on Friday. We are working on a fix for this.... will take a lot of R&D.

  7. #6
    Carscw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    5,346
    Location
    Georgia
    Mower
    Toro

    Quote Originally Posted by Rustysocket View Post

    I have this same issue with my new CC RZT42. I have spoken with the dealer about the issue and so far they have been very accommodating. He stopped by the house with some replacement cans on Friday. We are working on a fix for this.... will take a lot of R&D.
    I have found if I put my phone and my drink in the cup holder it stays.
    I have had it for three weeks and have put 70 hours on

    (( racing is the only sport that you need two balls ))

  8. #7

    1,000 Post Club
    djdicetn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    2,187
    Location
    Tennessee
    Mower
    Gravely

    Re: Husqvarna vs Cub Cadet

    Quote Originally Posted by thomasbeam View Post
    My 14-year-old John Deere LX 178 is severely wounded and close to death. The rings on one cylinder are bypassing gasoline which renders that side inoperable. Replacing the rings, etc. on both sides will run $1,000 plus. Buying a new short block costs in incredible $2,500 from my local JD dealer (before labor).

    So I am shopping for a new mower and have narrowed my choices down to a Husqvarna YTH21K46 (21 hp, 46-inch, hydro), or a Cub Cadet LTX1045 (20 hp, 46-inch, hydro). Both are priced at $1,600 and I believe either will do the mowing job I require.

    My question is this: Is one demonstrable better that the other or are they pretty much even?

    I mow in dusty conditions on some hilly terrain and, as a result, have gone through a few mowers. I smoked a $2900 Craftsman in nine years and my $3900 John Deere in 14 years. I figure I've got about five years of mowing left before we sell this property and after that I will downgrade myself to a walk-behind.

    I've never owned a product from either Husqvarna or Cub Cadet, so have no first hand knowledge of their quality. Any opinion would be appreciated.

    Thanks in advance for any help.
    thomasbeam,
    First of all based upon what you paid for that Craftsman and John Deere, it sounds like the lawn tractors you are looking at(I don't find a YTH21V46 on the Huskie website, but see a YTH22V46 that has a $1599 MSRP, and I can't find online pricing for the Cub) are considerably cheaper than what you have previously purchased. If you "smoked" those two others so quickly, why are you considering less expensive mowers(aside from your intent to downsize your property and don't think you will still need a lawn tractor)? IMHO, you should be looking at Husqvarna and Cub Cadet "dealers" that carry the "better built" models that you won't find in a big box retailer. Now, user TNHusky, in recommending the YTH24K48, gives first-hand owner information of it being a very good mower and I believe that Husqvarna(all models) are the best bang for your buck out there regardless of the model. And that model is only $300 more than the one you mentioned but I'll bet it is well worth $300 more. Now if you want a Husqvarna model that will outshine the old Craftsman($2,900) and be almost as good as the John Deere($3,900), and I've never been impressed with any of the "Residential" JD's, you need to step up to the high-end Husqvarna residential units like the YT48XLS(MSRP of $2899). That's the same as you paid for the Craftsman that lasted 9 years, but I'll bet the Craftsman didn't have a lifetime warrantied fabricated deck, a Kawasaki engine and a locking differential hydro drive. In fact I'll bet you'll be hard pressed to find any other lawn tractors, except the more expensive Cub Cadet series with deck choices that you can even get a fab deck on. It's your money, but I think you're looking at too cheap of mowers that you'll "burn up" in no time. Your call.

  9. #8


    2,500 Post Club
    Ric's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    4,287
    Location
    Florida
    Mower
    Toro Grandstand 36", Toro Z-Master 2000 48" Toro TurfMaster 30"

    Re: Husqvarna vs Cub Cadet

    Quote Originally Posted by djdicetn View Post
    thomasbeam,
    First of all based upon what you paid for that Craftsman and John Deere, it sounds like the lawn tractors you are looking at(I don't find a YTH21V46 on the Huskie website, but see a YTH22V46 that has a $1599 MSRP, and I can't find online pricing for the Cub) are considerably cheaper than what you have previously purchased. If you "smoked" those two others so quickly, why are you considering less expensive mowers(aside from your intent to downsize your property and don't think you will still need a lawn tractor)? IMHO, you should be looking at Husqvarna and Cub Cadet "dealers" that carry the "better built" models that you won't find in a big box retailer. Now, user TNHusky, in recommending the YTH24K48, gives first-hand owner information of it being a very good mower and I believe that Husqvarna(all models) are the best bang for your buck out there regardless of the model. And that model is only $300 more than the one you mentioned but I'll bet it is well worth $300 more. Now if you want a Husqvarna model that will outshine the old Craftsman($2,900) and be almost as good as the John Deere($3,900), and I've never been impressed with any of the "Residential" JD's, you need to step up to the high-end Husqvarna residential units like the YT48XLS(MSRP of $2899). That's the same as you paid for the Craftsman that lasted 9 years, but I'll bet the Craftsman didn't have a lifetime warrantied fabricated deck, a Kawasaki engine and a locking differential hydro drive. In fact I'll bet you'll be hard pressed to find any other lawn tractors, except the more expensive Cub Cadet series with deck choices that you can even get a fab deck on. It's your money, but I think you're looking at too cheap of mowers that you'll "burn up" in no time. Your call.
    The Price for the Cub is $1699 and I'd be careful of the Husqvarna YTH21K46 because they don't have that model anymore, it's a last years model I believe it least it's not on there site. Between the two your best choice would be the LTX1045. http://www.cubcadet.com/equipment/cu...ctors/ltx-1045


    G & G Lawn Care
    Mowers: Toro Z Master 48" Toro Grandstand 36" Toro Turf-Master 30"
    Blowers: Stihl BR 600 BR 600 & BR 200 Trimmers: Stihl FS 110 FS 90
    Edgers: Stihl FC 90&75 Echo BRD 280 Pole & Chain Saw: Stihl HT 75 MS 181 Hedge Trimmer: Stihl HL 45 HS 45


    Visit The Lawn & Landscape Forum @ http://lawncare.forumsmotion.com/forum





Similar Threads

  1. Cub Cadet
    By delwer in forum Small Engine & Mower Repair
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-23-2013, 09:00 AM
  2. Cub Cadet
    By kandar in forum Cub Cadet Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-30-2012, 11:32 PM
  3. Looking to buy within the week, Cub Cadet RZT S 50 or Husqvarna RZ5424?
    By Rnbbhc in forum Mower & Equipment Buying & Pricing
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-27-2012, 05:49 AM
  4. cub cadet
    By quads in forum Cub Cadet Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-19-2011, 03:02 PM
  5. Cub cadet
    By DonBrasco in forum Cub Cadet Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-02-2011, 08:31 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •