Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    4
    Location
    Maryland
    Mower
    Ferris

    Ferris Hydraulic Tank Leaking

    Any ideas will help---Plastic hydraulic oil tank lower seal leaking after only 20 or so hours. Replaced the seal and only went another 15 hours this time. Plastic tnak or hose cracked? Nope --- new tank assy installed, and the hose is fine. I love my little mower and I don't want to sell it because of an apparent poor engineering choice...PLASTIC

  2.  

  3. #2

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    33
    Location
    Tennessee
    Mower
    Ferris and Scag

    Re: Ferris Hydraulic Tank Leaking

    I would check to make sure the hose isnt binding or vibrating and putting a stress on the seal.

    I would think there would not be an issue with the tank or the seal, in general, because they sell a bunch of those mowers. If there was a design flaw then a lot of people would be having the issue.

    Also make sure the hose isnt vibrating while the mower (and deck) are running. I would look for anything that would put a strain on the hose that goes into the tank. Maybe you could clamp or otherwise secure the hose to the mower body to keep it from vibrating.

  4. #3

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    4
    Location
    Maryland
    Mower
    Ferris

    Re: Ferris Hydraulic Tank Leaking

    Thanks!! I will be looking at the overall layout again.

  5. #4

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    33
    Location
    Tennessee
    Mower
    Ferris and Scag

    Re: Ferris Hydraulic Tank Leaking

    Did you find anything?

  6. #5

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    4
    Location
    Maryland
    Mower
    Ferris

    Re: Ferris Hydraulic Tank Leaking

    Thanks all - But no luck, keep on adding oil every time out...considering custom metal tank...oh well, I still like my little mower.

  7. #6

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    4
    Location
    Maryland
    Mower
    Ferris

    Re: Ferris Hydraulic Tank Leaking

    Ta-Dah!! Just put on a custom made tank. Not a drop after running for 3 or 4 hours. I had a local welding shop make it of aluminum for about $100 and a trip to the hardware store for fittings. Cheap fix considering that another tank is $80 and there is about $50 in oil all over my garage, driveway and yard. Now I can rest easy knowing the tank isn't leaking. Thank you all for the help and ideas.

  8. #7
    Kmzlawncare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    6
    Location
    Indiana
    Mower
    Gravely

    Re: Ferris Hydraulic Tank Leaking

    Quote Originally Posted by harley1 View Post
    Ta-Dah!! Just put on a custom made tank. Not a drop after running for 3 or 4 hours. I had a local welding shop make it of aluminum for about $100 and a trip to the hardware store for fittings. Cheap fix considering that another tank is $80 and there is about $50 in oil all over my garage, driveway and yard. Now I can rest easy knowing the tank isn't leaking. Thank you all for the help and ideas.
    I'm having the same problem only 170hrs and my tank is leaking and I can't seem to fix it. I may have to have a tank made also .

  9. #8
    Kmzlawncare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    6
    Location
    Indiana
    Mower
    Gravely

    Re: Ferris Hydraulic Tank Leaking

    Quote Originally Posted by Kmzlawncare View Post
    I'm having the same problem only 170hrs and my tank is leaking and I can't seem to fix it. I may have to have a tank made also .
    Do you have any pictures of your new tank I'm about fed up to I put a new seal on mine and it's leaking again and I have not even mowed with it.I think ferris needs a new design.

  10. #9

    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    1
    Location
    Florida
    Mower
    Ferris

    Re: Ferris Hydraulic Tank Leaking

    Any chance you can post a picture?

    Thanks

    Ken

    Quote Originally Posted by east_tn_emc View Post
    I would check to make sure the hose isnt binding or vibrating and putting a stress on the seal.

    I would think there would not be an issue with the tank or the seal, in general, because they sell a bunch of those mowers. If there was a design flaw then a lot of people would be having the issue.

    Also make sure the hose isnt vibrating while the mower (and deck) are running. I would look for anything that would put a strain on the hose that goes into the tank. Maybe you could clamp or otherwise secure the hose to the mower body to keep it from vibrating.

Similar Threads

  1. Ferris IS 500z Hydro tank leaking
    By MowerChris in forum Small Engine & Mower Repair
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-05-2012, 02:27 PM
  2. LEAKING GAS Tank
    By Tall_Bill in forum Murray Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-28-2012, 11:03 PM
  3. Repairs Lawn Boy with leaking gas tank
    By T-Wort in forum Lawn Boy Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-24-2011, 06:37 PM
  4. Leaking gas tank and engine swap
    By TomW in forum Lawn Boy Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-29-2011, 08:57 AM
  5. leaking gas tank
    By glenn in forum Small Engine & Mower Repair
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-28-2011, 05:36 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •